Curring Spawn

GLF

• 1 year later...

I leave eggs natural,except for chum & singles(legal over here in Ont).

Skeins are scraped,then eggs are frozen(nice and soft).

Chumming eggs are water cured,then bathed in salt water overnight till they bounce off the floor,they disperse very well when thrown out via hand or slingshot.

I'll get into greater detail later,off to the pierhead now.

Freezing it fresh in packs enough for one trip is the way to go. Uncured spawn has always outfished cured spawn anytime I've been around cured spawn for trout/salmon. The only time I've seen cured spawn out produce fresh was for whitefish.

I use the borax for skein, which works pretty good and the salt water bath for loose. I've tried the stream wash method but the eggs seemed to wash out and become opaque after two or three drifts. A salt cured batch in August lasts well into the winter steelie season in the fridge for me.

I use the borax for skein, which works pretty good and the salt water bath for loose. I've tried the stream wash method but the eggs seemed to wash out and become opaque after two or three drifts. A salt cured batch in August lasts well into the winter steelie season in the fridge for me.

I to use borax however make sure you use what is called # 20 mule borax and i only do this if im making spawn bags for river steelheading regular boarx has bleech additive an will screw the spawn up. otherwise fresh froze is the most productive way ive found.

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably the easiest/cheap/clean method I have found.

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup sugar

1 quart water

Mix/shake ingrediants until salt/sugar has disolved. Place eggs in a bowl with solution salt/sugar and water. let stand over night in fridge, strain and rinse. Your eggs should be clean and hard, perfect for tying.

marv