Another Sub Troll question

When i bought my boat it came with a Sub Troll 900, everything except probe.

I fished last year without it but am going to run it this year. I bought a probe new cable and the clincher for the probe.

We use Blacks releases and I'm wondering if anyone has ran this setup with the release above the probe. Clincher release probe ball. Will I lose to much signal this way? It doesn't appear a Blacks will work under it.

Ideally it will be on a rigger not being used and stay in the water but if the rigger bite is hot we will run it. Just not sure of the best setup with the probe inline.

Run the Black's on the cable above the probe. Here's how. Get a 2 3/4" length of spray tube - like off a WD-40 spray can. Slip it on the cable; Do not remove the coating where the release will go. Put a small electrical connector crimp between the legs of the release. Then attach the probe to the cable as in the instruction book. Tape up your connection to the probe then slide the release on the spray tube down to the tape and crimp the crimp real good. The release will still rotate, will stay put and will not rub the coating on the cable away.

I've done this for years and still get good signal way down deep.

Sounds like a great method. I'll have to change it up a bit using the clincher instead of the factory crimp style with maybe a couple beads between clincher and release so they dont rub but i think it'll work Thanks !

Walker makes a combination Klincher/Blacks release that will allow you to rig up the connection like the picture below.

1. First you drill out the rivet that connects the snap-swivel to the plastic assembly with a small bolt & nut.

2. Next strip off 6" or so of the coated cable and route it through the Klincher like you would normally with the coated cable butt up against the terminator but don't trim the tag end.

3. Now trim the tag end leaving enough to let it reach the bolt I leave less of a loop than what is shown in the picture.

4. Crimp a closed end ring wire terminator to the tag end and slide it over the bolt and tighten down the nut

5. Use liquid electrical tape to coat the exposed wire, the bolt/nut, and the snap-swivel. Don't coat the downrigger release arm.

Rigged Klincher

clincher-1.jpg

Walker Release (combo Klincher & Blacks)

Terminatorrelease.JPG

I use a Big Jon band buster release which has a through wire (similar to what the Black's looks like it has). I terminate the coated wire as Ryan has shown. Connect that snap to the top of the release and I do wrap that joint with waterproof tape. To the lower snap of the release, connect the probe. Then a dropper wire of about two feet to the ball. That allows removal of the probe unlike the above photo where the probe to wire joint is all wrapped up. Never had an issue losing a signal.

Ryan i wish i could make that work it would be perfect I even have 4 new walker releases somewhere well maybe only 2 usable the other 2 tried my patience when removing them and I swore they would NEVER be on my boat again. They are made like Blacks but IMO sure don't perform like a Blacks (constantly having to readjust them).

Thanks for the info guys plenty enough here to get me going.

Now I have to wait for a little more snow to melt so I can get the boat out of the storage barn

Ryan i wish i could make that work it would be perfect I even have 4 new walker releases somewhere well maybe only 2 usable the other 2 tried my patience when removing them and I swore they would NEVER be on my boat again. They are made like Blacks but IMO sure don't perform like a Blacks (constantly having to readjust them).

Thanks for the info guys plenty enough here to get me going.

Now I have to wait for a little more snow to melt so I can get the boat out of the storage barn

The easier (but more expensive solution) is to buy a FishHawk X4 :grin: Completely eliminates the need to waterproof the connection.... it's only money.

I knew the X4 thing was coming can't believe it took that long. Heck even my friends told me that :) Just can't justify buying one before I get an autopilot (I'm rough on my drivers LOL) and know the Sub Troll will do what I need.

Legacy I already bought that clincher, just needed some info on how to run my release with it.

Got it figured out now. Thanks everyone for their input