Cabelas Depthmaster Reels

tort

Does anyone have any experience with cabelas depthmaster combo setups. I got some cabelas gift certificates for xmas and am looking to get setup with 2 dispey rods and 2 downrigger rods. Thanks in advance!

I have a pair of the depth master linecounter reels and they so far in three seasons have held up pretty well. One of the line counters failed the first season I used it. Finished the season with the reel, called cabellas, told them about it and they sent me a brand new one to replace it.

Creep too......

I have 2 that will be in their 3rd year this year and haven't missed a beat.

Since they made by Okuma, they creep just like most Okuma reels.......

Stay away from Eagle Claw rods from Cabelas on these combos, they blow up in your face while fighting fish. My older Eagle Claw rods are just fine but the new ones suck!

T

• 4 weeks later...

Cabela's Depthmaster Reels are JUNK I bought 5 2 years ago the glass for the line counter feel off all of them the first time out.

Then had a big screamer king waste the drag and they click bad.

Took them back to Cabela's they suggested for Salmon I should use Accudepth Diawa's or Okuma Reels. The depth master are not heavy duty reels walleye trolling would be there limit

Call cabellas! I had a line counter on one of the two that I own go bad and they replaced them free. The newer ones were replaced with newer components as was stated to me by cabellas. They were a gift and make great mono dipsey set ups. Beyone that I have all Okuma and Penn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I know Cabellas had the exclusive for the Okuma Catalina for a long time, but now any tackle dealer can get them. Not sure if Okuma makes the depth master, they have the lower model Magda. If I was gonna buy a line counter I would get an Okuma Catalina combo, or I just saw a Okuma Convector Combo here on this site for a great price, rod and convector for 97 bucks and i'm pretty sure it even had line on it too.

Capt. Ray

There are several deph master models. I might be wrong on this, but I think some of the depth master models are made by Okuma.

Anyone know for sure?

Yes, I know some of the Depthmasters are Okuma's. I had a site that had which were which and I can't seem to find it right now......

T

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I dont have any personal experience with depthmasters, but even on cablea web site the product reviews for these is very bad?But most complaints seem to be on poles not the reels. I went with with diawa 57 accudepths i have 4 now and no complaints but on occasions i do bump the counter reset. But no breakdowns and mine get alot of use 2 run leadcore and i like that they dont rub coating off leadcore as some reels do .

You really don't need to spend the extra money for the catalina, the Convector is the same reel, just not set up for the Saltwater world. We are big Okuma fans, we have 1/2 doz of the cheaper DX's work Ok, we've been running those for our Braid dipeys, no complaints yet , and they been running strong for 2 years, the Convectors in my opinion, are hands down better than any of the Daiwas