Take kids fishing

Hello

This year we will have our boat in Linwood and plan to do a lot of trolling for walleye!

Our plan is to also get the little kids out a bunch as well to get them off the video games! They loose focus quick when trolling so I am hoping to do some fishing with rod in hand. I was wonder if I could get some advice. My first though would be to drift (31' boat) with harness, jigs or Erie deries. I also would like to do perch but this is something I have zero experience with. I'm not looking for any secret spots, but gear and where to look.

Would it make sense to hire a guide to help us just focus on perch ?

Thank you for your input.

Justin

Drifting is fine when the waves get 2' or more. Drifting or trolling the Saginaw Bay is usually anything but boring. 1-1/2 to 2 oz Bottom Bouncers or In-Line weights with crawler harness and the real deal on them will get it done. We have taken fish on all kinds of spinner rigs. You need to pay close attention to boat control and speed. Early fishing will require speeds 1 MPH or less. Summer fishing speeds usually are kept @ 1.4-1.7 MPH. Some times speed is crucial with a tenth of a MPH making or breaking the trip. I fish out of Au Gres and if you want to jump on for a trip you'd be welcome and kids even more welcome. There is a learning curve fishing this big body of water. Jumping on with someone else may help.

• 1 month later...
Drifting is fine when the waves get 2' or more. Drifting or trolling the Saginaw Bay is usually anything but boring. 1-1/2 to 2 oz Bottom Bouncers or In-Line weights with crawler harness and the real deal on them will get it done. We have taken fish on all kinds of spinner rigs. You need to pay close attention to boat control and speed. Early fishing will require speeds 1 MPH or less. Summer fishing speeds usually are kept @ 1.4-1.7 MPH. Some times speed is crucial with a tenth of a MPH making or breaking the trip. I fish out of Au Gres and if you want to jump on for a trip you'd be welcome and kids even more welcome. There is a learning curve fishing this big body of water. Jumping on with someone else may help.

Frank, how is the evening bite in the summer. Thinking of driving up after work with my two kids a couple times in June.