A lot of people have been asking me about the status of the ice on Lake Erie and...

A lot of people have been asking me about the status of the ice on Lake Erie and Saginaw Bay and how it may affect the fishing this spring. In normal years, Lake Erie would be open by now and in some years we have started running charters by this time too. The western basin of Lake Erie is still mostly ice covered though, but there are some areas opening up in front of Monroe and also in front of Luna Pier where the warm water from the power plants dump in. Given warmer weather, it will be at least 10 days before Erie will possibly be fishable. The good news though is that the cold weather and ice cover will delay the spawn, which will put provide some prime fishing during the first couple weeks of April.

I am scheduled to move to Au Gres on April 16, and given decent weather, that should be an excellent time to get some bigger walleyes. Right now, the inner part of Saginaw Bay is frozen completely. There is open water though just north of Pt. Lookout by Au Gres. Au Gres should be ice free by April 1 and by April 16, we should see a lot of adult, post spawn walleyes along the Au Gres shorelines.

GLF_ProStaff.png

on erie a lot of hawg walleyes are gonna be gone. i heard tales of easy fast limits of big fish. posted on another site and that was confirmed, not a day or two of great fishing but literally a month of crazy action. seems they think they just did not have the ice to get to the hotspots before.

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of people have been asking me about the status of the ice on Lake Erie and Saginaw Bay and how it may affect the fishing this spring. In normal years, Lake Erie would be open by now and in some years we have started running charters by this time too. The western basin of Lake Erie is still mostly ice covered though, but there are some areas opening up in front of Monroe and also in front of Luna Pier where the warm water from the power plants dump in. Given warmer weather, it will be at least 10 days before Erie will possibly be fishable. The good news though is that the cold weather and ice cover will delay the spawn, which will put provide some prime fishing during the first couple weeks of April.

I am scheduled to move to Au Gres on April 16, and given decent weather, that should be an excellent time to get some bigger walleyes. Right now, the inner part of Saginaw Bay is frozen completely. There is open water though just north of Pt. Lookout by Au Gres. Au Gres should be ice free by April 1 and by April 16, we should see a lot of adult, post spawn walleyes along the Au Gres shorelines.

GLF_ProStaff.png

Au Gres is still locked up!!