Bender Park 3/10 & 3/11

Was happy to see those west winds push the ice away from shore on the west side of the pond. Milwaukee harbor was still frozen for the most part but there was a lot of open water at Bender. I had yesterday afternoon and today off so I decided to give it a try.

Yesterday my buddy and I towed our yaks out and launched off the side of the ice near the beach. I picked up one brown on a spoon trolling to the powerplant and we set up about 75 yards from the discharge. I tried cranks, spoons, blade baits, spawn and minnows without a hit. Then switched over to jig & gulp (which I should have started with) and started landing them. I ended up going 15 for ~26 and my buddy landed 5 including a dandy 29 incher.

Today I went out in the rain and waves and it was fast action. Ended up landing 30 fish between 1:35 and 4:00. There was a mudline where the discharge current and waves intersected and I landed the majority of my fish on the downwind side right along the transition. Most of the time I was sight fishing as they were close to the surface in the clear water. Wish I would've been able to stay longer but the waves were getting nasty and I didn't want to take a chance falling in the cold water with nobody else around. The northeast waves made for a rough landing on the ice sheet.

Here are some pics. The actual harbor area is still about 50% covered in ice and it's think but honeycombed. This cold weather that we are supposed to get tonight won't help but I'm guessing it'll be open by the middle of next week.

DSCF0111_zpsa95d16b6.jpg

DSCF0168_zps3b90fbb5.jpg

DSCF0100_zps9b6c9971.jpg

DSCF0088_zps44ba1b12.jpg

DSCF0057_zpsc047b868.jpg

DSCF0056_zpsef0047dc.jpg

I dont think we are going to see open water for a good long time on lake huron. My wilderness ride 115 comes friday. Your posts are getting to me....lol

Looks like you guys have it made it over. Nice job on fish.