Okuma CV30D Broken Line Counter Fix?

I bought a few used CV30D's last season and noticed that the linecounter on one isn't working. I know I could send it and to tuna toms and have him to do it, but was hoping to fix it myself.

The counter zero's fine but won't roll over when winding, once in a while it will work for a few #s (but rolls over slow and is not accurate) then stops working again. Any ideas of what's broke?

only idea is find the parts diagram and go from there only my take but i dont think its worth it to try on your own-1. if you miss what happens,still send it in ? 2.also if it was easy for all to do people like tuna toms would not be around.

I'm not positive on this, but it sounds like the gear that gets turned by the levelwind is broke(missing teeth) or the shaft on the linecounter may be bent. If it's bent, it can be warmed slightly and straightened. Otherwise, it's a pretty easy fix to swap out the linecounter or gear(s).

thanks for quick responses. Im gussing its the gear b/c i didnt notice the shaft bent everything looked good when I had the line counter apart the other day.

If i did send back we are talking 2x ship plus $25-$30 service... Might as well throw on the leadcore since everytnig but the line counter works fine and buy a new one for my wire.

They are simple and easy to fix what keeps Tuna and others in business is we have become a nation of appliance operators. That and the fact they have parts in stock and can fix it fast. Most have a gear on the end of the worm drive shaft for the level wind that drives the plastic gear on the counter. The ones I have fixed needed a new counter because either the counter jammed for a second or in many cases some one held the reset down while a fish was running, either one will knock a couple teeth off the counter gear and cause it to skip.

Yep looks like it they can verify it is the right one for you on the phone. There is usually a series number or letter code on the bottom of the reel seat that verifies which exact reel it is. I used to have a set of LC counter reels with bad level winds so I removed the level wind ( I really don't like them ) but fixed the line counters and used them for lead core. What I would do was reset the line counter when I attached the board then I could use the line counter to set the line out and board placement. Even though LC are not accurate with that much line out using it on a 3 board spread with inside board at 100 middle board at 200 and outside board at 300 gives a consistent spread every time. Doing that if your middle board fires when you reset it you just let it back 200 and put it in the rod holder it will go right back where it was.

ok new line counter came the other day just installed it. #'s changing looks good, push button to reset (zero) and button doesn't come back up it sticks down until pryed up with fingers. Did I do something wrong here?

Take a look at where the button goes through the enclosure. It is probably rubbing someplace. You may need to loosen the screws and move it slightly or scrape the hole with a knife so the button doesn't rub.

I agree with Frank on this. It sounds like it might be out of place a little. After giving the area a scrape, check the rubber boot to make sure it is positioned correctly. That can also create a pinch point if it's not properly aligned.