trolling bag size

I have a question for all you that have more knowledge than I do about this. I have a 34 foot Silverton and I ran two 36 inch bags last year and I was able to get down to the 2.5 to 2.9 sog range. I would like to get a bit slower this year so I wondering what I could expect if I ran two 42 inch bags this year or if I should just go to 48 inch?

This is all new to me so I am still in the big part of my learning curve. Thanks for your help and any advice is welcome and appreciated.

With that size rig I'd go to the 48". A few more rpm is a good thing for oil pressure and boat control.

I have been running a pair of custom made bags for years but my boat is a 22' Islander Hardtop. I'm not even sure of the diameter but I can get 1mph or less. I'd guess the diameter of mine are 30-36 inches. I do a lot of walleye trolling. The boat control is amazing. I don't use auto pilot because of the anticipation factor. I can hold a very steady course trolling into 3-4 foot seas. This is important to me when running inline boards.

With that size rig I'd go to the 48". A few more rpm is a good thing for oil pressure and boat control.

I agree a few more rpms keeps good oil pressure and would rather burn a dollar or two more gas than a motor or two.

While 36in bags are likely small for your boat how big are the openings on the outlet. My son made me a adjustable bag years ago it has a second rope that when pulled closes the outlet which improves speed control. From fully open to fully close d it gave about 1 mph of speed control which on my 18ft would drop me down to under 1mph closed and around 2mph open. The reason I mention this is you may be able to modify your current bags to slow you down more.

While 36in bags are likely small for your boat how big are the openings on the outlet. My son made me a adjustable bag years ago it has a second rope that when pulled closes the outlet which improves speed control. From fully open to fully close d it gave about 1 mph of speed control which on my 18ft would drop me down to under 1mph closed and around 2mph open. The reason I mention this is you may be able to modify your current bags to slow you down more.

Interesting idea and for sure a cost savings. Could you explain how that was done? If it was something I could do I would consider it.

Thanks

I am curious of the rpm idle speed on the Silverton. My 33' CC idles at 700-800 rpms, perfect for slow trolling, and docking. Anything 1100 or over is running too rich imho, and the carbs. should be adjusted. I have 36" sea anchors that work pretty well this way. Higher idling also wears on the trannys faster too.

I am curious of the rpm idle speed on the Silverton. My 33' CC idles at 700-800 rpms, perfect for slow trolling, and docking. Anything 1100 or over is running too rich imho, and the carbs. should be adjusted. I have 36" sea anchors that work pretty well this way. Higher idling also wears on the trannys faster too.

My 31' Chris Craft Commander idles around 900, and I have no trouble getting to 2.5 mph, but she is really touchy on the throttle, thinking about a couple of 48" sea anchors to let us keep the rpm up. Never tried it before but I know a lot of people that swear by it. Thinking it is time to give it a shot. I found a really good bag with trip lines for about $70.00 on ebay. Just for info when trolling I put the trim tabs all the way down, helps us slow down.