Hook Sharpening

I have been going through all my hooks this off season and touching them up with the 4.5 luhr jensen file. But sometimes I notice that while I'm trying to sharpen, I file the hookpoint right down and much shorter than the original hookpoint was. And sometimes they still don't stick in my thumb nail. What am I doing wrong? Putting to much force on the hook while filing? Doesn't happen every time but have noticed maybe 8-10 hook pts that I did this to.

Sharpening eventually wears the hooks out. You're probably not doing anything wrong. Hook points only have a limited area between the point and the barb. Through sharpening this area keeps getting shorter and finally to the POINT (pun intended) of no return and time for a new one.

I normally only sharpen hooks about 3 to 4 times then replace. I use a regular bastard file and just hit each side of the point 1 time and it seems to work. If the hooks looks like the point is too close to the barb I replace it. It only takes a minute and I keep several boxes of new hooks on the boat all of the time. I like the Gamakatsu extra wide gap for body baits. and the eagle claw blood red trebles for spoons. Both are extra sharp and are cheap medicine for dull hooks.

Just fyi guys, there's several hand-held battery operated hook sharpeners on the market now. The last ones I bought were called Hook Honers, nice, economical, and easy to use. They usually do the trick, and don't shorten that point to the barb nearly as fast. They also make it much easier in waves to sharpen the hooks fast.

Too much pressure is my guess. You should barely have a good grip of your sharpener when touching the hook. I can't stress enough how little pressure you should use. You'll be amazed at how fast and well this does for you.

I use a Luhr jenson file. I usually just make two swipes. Kind of hard to explain. If the treble hook tip is at 12 o:clock I make one light swipe up at 2 o:clock . Then one light swipe up at 10 o:clock. Sometimes it wont stick in your nail. You can tell it is sharp be sticking it in the meat of your thumb :no: