Bilge Pump question

I recently bought a 22' StarCraft Islander with a I/O. Currently has one electronic, automatic bilge pump. I have two questions:

Is there any preventative maintenance to be done on these bilge pumps (ie disassemble and clean)?

I'm also researching and planning on buying a back up high capacity manual bilge pump (Beckson Thirsy-Mate High Capacity Super Pump w/4' Intake, 6' Outlet) which states it is "high capacity" at a pump rate of 30gallons/minute. Also comes with a price tag of $252.

Any recommendations and/or comments?

I recently bought a 22' StarCraft Islander with a I/O. Currently has one electronic, automatic bilge pump. I have two questions:

Is there any preventative maintenance to be done on these bilge pumps (ie disassemble and clean)?

I'm also researching and planning on buying a back up high capacity manual bilge pump (Beckson Thirsy-Mate High Capacity Super Pump w/4' Intake, 6' Outlet) which states it is "high capacity" at a pump rate of 30gallons/minute. Also comes with a price tag of $252.

Fishing line, rubberbands, and other stuff can cause problems with these pumps. I take mine apart and clean the impeller yearly. I also back flush mine with a garden hose a couple of times a year. Putting a running garden hose on the pumps hull fitting on the side of the boat flushes out some debris most every time.

I am a firm believer that you can't have too many automatic bilge pumps on any boat. I have 3 on mine, its cheap insurance against problems during weather or while you boat is in the water for an extended period. The pumps are really not expensive, I found a 2000gph pump on ebay for $52.00 at a buy it now price. Includes pump and float switch. The flexible hose and thru hull fitting would be an additional 15 to 20 bucks. Cheap insurance against lost rivets or other issues.

That is one heck of a pump. Can't say that I have ever seen a 6" outlet on any boat, let alone a 22'. 30 gpm would certainly evacuate a swamped bilge/hull much better than a "regular" pump. Could even leave the drain plug out. Better have some good batteries though!

IIRC, I read an article of a guy's boat sank, or almost did because of a failing bilge pump. Must have been almost sank, because the article said when he disassembled the pump, he found "a bunch" knot clippings that had colleted in the pump causing it to fail. That has always stuck in my mind.

All boats on used on the great lakes needs to have at least 2 bilge pumps

One smaller automatic to keep the boat dry one larger one depending on size of boat to evacuate large amount of water I case of a emergency

All bilge pumps need to be serviced at least annually and tested WITH WATER often

Just turning them on to hear if they make noise or operate electrically is not a valid test

In a emergency situation these pumps are a critical safety item that is often neglected

Read more about pumps in the calumet marine forums pages under mechanics corner titles

You have 3-5 seconds to decide

Death by fishing line

Both these titles are posts related to bilge pumps

Be safe out there the water is cold this year lots of ice

The fun is over if some one gets hurt

I will also add to check/clean float switch regularly. I have had small bits of debris block off the float. Almost had my 19' Starcraft sink due to that. Slipped it and had a heavy rainfall overnight, next morning I had less than 2" of transom sticking out of water. Found a small piece of leaf blocking float. Took 45min for pump to remove water in bilge.:eek: