Pro-Line Boats

Duraflame

I'm looking at buying a 1998 Proline 251 WA. I have heard mixed reviews on the Proline brand, but I like the layout with the 250hp outboard. The only negative I see right now is that the engine is a 2stroke. It looks like it would be a good boat for Lake Michigan, and it would set up real nice for salmon. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

In the mid '90s ProLine went to a completely wood free hull. Lots of the bad reviews are for boats prior to then. Quality wise they are not a top line brand but seem to be good boats at around the same level as Trophy. A friend had a 24' ProLine which is a little smaller but similar design. I have been on boats that did a better job cutting through a 2-3' chop but have been on much worse too. For a 25' hull the 250 hp is probably as low as I'd want to go -- you will need to add a kicker for trolling but that's not a bad way to go to keep hours off the big motor and get good fuel use.

In the mid '90s ProLine went to a completely wood free hull. Lots of the bad reviews are for boats prior to then. Quality wise they are not a top line brand but seem to be good boats at around the same level as Trophy. A friend had a 24' ProLine which is a little smaller but similar design. I have been on boats that did a better job cutting through a 2-3' chop but have been on much worse too. For a 25' hull the 250 hp is probably as low as I'd want to go -- you will need to add a kicker for trolling but that's not a bad way to go to keep hours off the big motor and get good fuel use.

I have a 9.9hp 4 stroke kicker, do you think that would be enough to push it. I think the dry weight on the boat is less than 3k pounds.

Well, I just found out that the boat I'm looking at has an offer on it. So it looks like the search starts again.

Is the seller getting the asking price? Depending on how good the boat is might be worth saying you would be interested still -- if he is entertaining offers, maybe yours would be better.

How much are you looking to spend? Maybe someone on the board will know of a candidate boat for you. Might as well use your GLF network of fishing nuts to help!

I have a 9.9hp 4 stroke kicker, do you think that would be enough to push it. I think the dry weight on the boat is less than 3k pounds.

Probably would. Might have to go to a high thrust prop if it is available for the brand/model you have.

I'm looking to stay under $25k. Walkarounds are preferred, in the lengths of 24ft to 28ft. Trying to avoid two strokes if possible, but will consider one that has a kicker mount, or low enough price that I can add the kicker mount. The boats I've seen in the great lakes region are tremendously higher cost than the ones from the saltwater coast, especially New Jersey. Even some freshwater boats in NY are much less in comparison than what I'm seeing in MI and OH. I know salt water is tough on boats, but to save $10k, I'm thinking it will be worth driving to NJ.

I drove to Texas to get mine... but it was a brand new hull the dealer was closing out, 21' cats didn't fit the dealer's clientele anymore.

You will find a lot more hulls equipped with outboards for main power on the coast too. Seems to be around 10 I/O to 1 OB on the Great Lakes.

It isn't the hulls that get affected by saltwater but the engines and electrical. Find an outboard on a trailer where the owner has flushed it clean after trips and they can be good boats. The northeast can be good too because they also have a limited use season compared to down south. Be careful though because of the recent storms. Messed up a lot of boats out there that could be being passed off as not having any issues.

Well, I now have my sights on a 2002 24' Wellcraft Walkaround, with a newer 4stroke Evinrude 200hp. Looks like a nice rig, but I don't know much about those boats. Any major cons I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Well, I now have my sights on a 2002 24' Wellcraft Walkaround, with a newer 4stroke Evinrude 200hp. Looks like a nice rig, but I don't know much about those boats. Any major cons I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Wellcraft are good boats. Verify that the Evinrude is a 4 stroke. Probably is but 200 hp seem awfully big for a 4 stroke in '02. That is also very close to the years when the Ficht engines were out and the early models had problems. Fixed after Bombardier bought out OMC's outboard business and then the name changed from Ficht to eTec. No issues I know of with the 4 strokes.