Changing downrigger releases, what's your favorite?

Ready to be spanked by you guys, but here it is. I really don't believe "loading" up a rod "buries" the hook in a salmons jaw. When you take into consideration the bow in your mono line from the rod to the DR 80ft down ; I just don't see a "loaded rod" setting the hook. I load mine too, but I see it as just a little less slack in the line for me to reel in until I engage the fish. A salmon "buries" the hook when it runs with the bait. I am now ready for my beating. Be gentle please.

Ready to be spanked by you guys, but here it is. I really don't believe "loading" up a rod "buries" the hook in a salmons jaw. When you take into consideration the bow in your mono line from the rod to the DR 80ft down ; I just don't see a "loaded rod" setting the hook. I load mine too, but I see it as just a little less slack in the line for me to reel in until I engage the fish. A salmon "buries" the hook when it runs with the bait. I am now ready for my beating. Be gentle please.

I dont think loading the rod sets the hook either it the amount of tension the releases applies to get good hook penetration, but the sooner you can get the slack out of the line sure helps in keeping fish on.

For those of you using the Chamberlain. If you have it set so your rod can be loaded really good how can you release yourself when you want to cahange lurres or leave for the day?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

For those of you using the Chamberlain. If you have it set so your rod can be loaded really good how can you release yourself when you want to cahange lurres or leave for the day?

3-4 pounds of tension will allow you to trip your rods by just a quick snap of the rod like most other releases.Just like a dipsy will release when set correctly and yet not false release when trolling.

It isn't that the tension setting on the rod part on the Chamberlain is any tighter than what it would be in a Blacks/Dubro... it is that the lure/fish setting can be set to a different tension. Lighter for when fishing for smaller or lighter hitting fish or heavier if necessary for fast trolling or with flashers.

you got cheated out of your spanking on this one anyway. I do think its good to have the rod cranked down, it just helps get some of the slack out of the line when fishing deep. as for the hook set I think the fish starts the process when it hits the lure and the hook set is finished when all the slack line is gone and pressure is applied.

Yes loading the rod only helps to get the bow outa the line faster.. Hook setting is done as the fish removes the line from the release.. Hence the importance of release and tension.. If that hook isn't planted by the time u see ur rod bucking odds of the fish making it to the net is dramatically reduced.

I had started with cannons, switched to blacks, switched to scottys and my hookup ratio jumped up to 90% no more of the annoying shakers being dragged around for hours . Get long leads for pinch pads you will see anything hit your line.

Agree completely on this one. I keep the rod loaded for the same reason. Way back when I used a line counter rod on my rigger to see how much line bow I was getting. I forget what the ratio was at 80' down but it was significant.