Changing downrigger releases, what's your favorite?

Chamberlains. Basically a Black but a tension adjustment for both the lure and the rod. Allows for a real bend in the rod but separate (lighter) for the lure. Great for spring on Lake Michigan and the mixed bag on Erie & Sag Bay when perch hit but can't pull the line out of the release with a normal tension.

I started with Walker in the 1970's switched to Rubber bands in 1980 and have never gone back. I never have problems with shakers and after some experimenting I never have false releases. I start early with #16 bands and until we start fishing deep they work well. when we get to fishing 50'or more of cable out we go to #33 rubberbands. 1 thing I do when using 11" Paddles I double the bands, and they still release on a strike.

I started with Walker in the 1970's switched to Rubber bands in 1980 and have never gone back. I never have problems with shakers and after some experimenting I never have false releases. I start early with #16 bands and until we start fishing deep they work well. when we get to fishing 50'or more of cable out we go to #33 rubberbands.

how are you rigging up the rubber bands?

Guys running the blacks, I've fished with guys that twist the line 7 times and others that use them in tandem with bands, how do you attach the line to them? I'm thinking of either going with blacks or the chamberlains, as I like the idea of the light bite release when walleye fishing, but thought about adding rubber bands to the blacks when I'm targeting the smaller fish.

I use Scottys. Had walkers and Cannon and don't like them. Hope to try some Black's or Chamberlains as my scottys wear out.

Tried the elastic thing both on the riggers and planner boards. Works great but hate the broken elastics. I have been on a Charter boat with a famous Salmon fishing captain and we had elastics plug up in the guides so I could not reel. I was with a friend who had some leaky rivits on his aluminum boat. I am reeling in a fish and I see water in the back below the floor. An elastic was stuck in the bilge pump. I do carry a bag of number 16's on the boat.

loop the band around the line twice. One wrap will let them band slide on the line sometimes. Open the clasp on the blacks release and place the loop in the rubber band into the clasp. close the clasp and your fishing.

I run straight blacks release. They take some getting used to as far as setting the tension. Like matt said tho, "they are stupid proof." The only complaint i have is when i twist the line four times around and put the mono in the release, after a while i get permanent twist in my mono. checked the swivle and it seems to work fine. Maybe just old crappy mono is my problem. I think blacks are under 10 bucks.

Hate to disagree, but I hate blacks releases and all of the variants like them. I've used them on other guys boats and just find them to be a royal PIA to set. I use Scotty Powergrips and love them. Easy to set, you can load the crap out of the rod and never get a false release, yet shakers are easily telegraphed to the rod tip from the long tether you can get on them.

Tim