Removing a Livewell

I have 2 livewells in my 17ft aluminum, one in the back bench and one up front. I was thinking about removing one of these and turning it into a storage compartment.

I don't want to just plug it up because when it rains, the compartment fills up with water - and then I would have no way to drain it. I was thinking about cutting out the plastic and then creating a floor below that.

Any suggestions or comments about this?

I would leave the compartment how it is and disconect the ability to pump water in. I use mine for storage on my boat and water always finds a way in some how. Kind of nice just to let it drain on its own. Plus when you sell the boat it will still have two live wells. I doubt it would be worth cutting it out as your not going to gain much space.

I'll see if I can figure out how to disconnect the drain line from the tank and plug it up. If I can do that, at least I won't have water pooled in the bottom. This also sounds easier than taking out the tank.

JD... I used a plug for the back one. It is located at the back next to the drain plug.

The front live well. You can put a drain plug in that one in the live well it keeps it dry.

Dave

I'd agree with Dave. If you disconnect the drain line and it leaks, it'll leak in the bottom of your boat. In that case, you'd probably rather have water in your livewell.