Boat Rigging

Good Afternoon,

New to the GL Fisherman site!

We are in the process of buying a new boat. It is a 1999 Baha Cruisers Weekender 313. Anyone with experience with this boat, I would love to hear about it. It has twin PCM Marine Engines (Chevy 350).

I am also looking for rigging advice. Our previous boat is 21' Trophy that we had completely outfitted by BigJon (we know the plastics parts very well). How ever with this boat, we are looking at other options. My feeling is that there is now better technology out there like Traxstech or Cannon.

Today the Baha has 4 Elec Walker Downriggers, 4 Big jon rod holders (2 per side) and big board reels attached to the hard top.

If you could buy what ever you wanted to outfit a new boat, what would it be? We also plan to buy a new radar system, GPS, Fishfinder and replace the Fishhawk unit.

FYI... The boat will be in linwood for 2 months catching walleye, then moved to Frankfort for trout and salmon.

Appreciate all of the advice and look forward to a great year.

Justin

Welcome to GLF. Down Riggers are a personal thing, all of them do the job. The Big Jon Senior is an awesome rigger and they aren't as bulky as the Canon's. I current am running Walker Tournament Pro's on my 31' Chris Craft Commander, and they do the trick. If I were fishing 15# plus balls a lot I would probably go to the Canon's. Can't beat the Big Jon towers for your rod holders. I don't use the Big boards at all, I use inline's because we fish primarily Salmon. Good luck with your new rig and tight lines.

I forgot to ask, the boat baha has very low hours < 500. What do you think it would be worth?

It has no trailer, it is decent shape, all the current electronics are dated so I estimate their value at $2000.

I'm just looking for a ball park. I have used NADA but i'm not sure how good this really is for estimating a large boats value.

Justin

post-5826-14498787801649_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't do without my trees. Either a triple, or a quad tree on each side. One of the best pieces of equipment for the lead cores, coppers and walleye fishing. 3-4 gunnel mount rod holders for divers and also just to be able to put a rod out of the way. The key is functionality, and maximizing the space you have available.

I forgot to ask, the boat baha has very low hours < 500. What do you think it would be worth?

It has no trailer, it is decent shape, all the current electronics are dated so I estimate their value at $2000.

I'm just looking for a ball park. I have used NADA but i'm not sure how good this really is for estimating a large boats value.

Justin

You don't need to get rid of the radar, I still use an old CRT radar and it works fine. Actually is easier to read than the newer flat screen models. It looks like a clean rig, and the fact it doesn't have a trailer is no big deal, you would have to get a permit to tow it anywhere and that can be a pain.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes we are going to have Great Lakes Boat Haulers move the boat for us.

Had someone mentioned that we have to be careful with the stringers in the baha boats. Sounds like how ever that the issue was much better starting in 1997.

Anything Baha Built that is 1997 model year or newer would have Greenwood XL panel as the core for the stringers and transom, as well as any other areas where a core reinforcement was needed. Greenwood has a lifetime warranty against rot and in the 15 years they used it, there was never a claim for any wood rot problems.

The Radar is a Raytheon SL70. I thought maybe color would be nice, but I have no experience with radar. Our trophy does not have radar.

I wouldn't do without my trees. Either a triple, or a quad tree on each side. One of the best pieces of equipment for the lead cores, coppers and walleye fishing. 3-4 gunnel mount rod holders for divers and also just to be able to put a rod out of the way. The key is functionality, and maximizing the space you have available.

Wheels, You got it. There is no such a thing as too many rod holders.:)

Raymarine hands down imo. As for riggers, I've only used them once on someone else's boat, but his Scottys were scary strong and fast. My 4 Walkers that came with my current boat are adequate but I don't think top of the line by any means. Darn things just won't break down though so I can get new ones. They remind me of when I told myself I'd upgrade to a flat screen HDTV when my old one stopped working. Darn thing is still being used in the basement and the Walkers are still plugging away on my boat. Had to just bite the bullet and upgrade the t.v. Riggers are next. Nice new boat like that, you want the best you can get.

I've been boat shopping heavily for several months but wasn't looking at vessels that long. For price comparisons I'd search the major boat listing sites for similar models and see what they are going for. Was it a salt water vessel before it found it's new home? Boats in this tri-state area sure seem to bring a higher asking price then the coastal states. NADA values aren't even close to what a boat can actually bring, from my shopping experience.

Wheels, You got it. There is no such a thing as too many rod holders.:)

I fished on others boats, some rigged very well, and some that I will not fish on again due to the poor layout of their rigging. My setup is somewhat basic, 1 triple tree on each side, then gunnel mount triple rod holders on each side (dipsys for salmon and down and out for walleye and if needed a 4th planer board holder), and then 3 riggers on the stern with 2 rod holders each. It is very effective set up conducive of keeping lines from tangling and enabling me to deploy a spread with up to 15 rods if needed. Walleye I usually run 8 rods, salmon is usually 12 rods. Then I put a rocket launcher up top, which can stow 7 rods, and the 2 outside holder I angled to use as another board holder....so in theory, 10 boards isn't out of the question, and I would be comfortable doing so.

I am a big fan of track systems. Have had them on my last two boats and I love the versatility they provide for different fishing situations. My spring, summer, and fall layouts are all slightly different, plus I also setup different for Lake Michigan salmon than I do when the boat gets trailered to Erie for walleye.

My tracks are mounted directly to the gunnel and stern. If I were to do it over, I would go to a raised track instead (picture off Traxstech website below). Main reason is it only requires 2 or 3 of the 6" tracks to be mounted to the boat to mount the traclk pedestals too instead of bolt holes every foot for direct mounted track. Most boats have built in flush mount rod holders and a raised track does not require these to be removed or gone around. In the unusual situation where you have to remove the fishing equipment, the whole track assembly can be removed only leaving the 6" tracks that can then have step pads inserts put in. Very clean look but still all of the functionality of a track system.

As far as what to put in the tracks, I have a mix of different brands of equipment: Big Jon vertical trees (board rods), Cannon dual axis ratcheting rod holders (divers), and Traxstech downrigger swivel pedestals. Being able to use the equipment you like best in the tracks from many different manufactures is also great -- and if you don't like it, change it or sell it and try something else without having to drill more holes in the boat.

Raised track samples:

OUYwN0Y1NDU3MUU5NTg0NDg5MUU6ODIxZTViYTAyZWM2YzZlM2NiZmQxNzBhMWYxMDJiM2Q=

OUYwN0Y1NDU3MUU5NTg0NDg5MUU6NTYwNmQyN2FiMjU3MzNkOTQ3ZjlkZWY3MDcyMDI1MDE=

Pic of Honda Cat's World Cat with Traxstech raised track system:

OUYwN0Y1NDU3MUU5NTg0NDg5MUU6NTUyMDUwMTE4ZDE0NjE1OGRkZGVlOTQ0NmQ0OTBhYzg=

I really like the custom corner option. I sent information to Traxstech for options but I have not heard back yet. Maybe they will be at the fishing show in birch run on the Mar 8.

We also plan to purchase 4 cannon downriggers and my though is that the show might be the cheapest option. I did how ever noticed that if you ordered them via cabelas, you get a 150$ gift card.

Traxtech was at the show in Birch Run the last few years. I talked to one of the reps last year about their products. I've had both berts and traxtechs stuff and they are both awesome.

If it were me I would drive to northwoods in Pinconning and buy everything you need there. I bet you would spend 30% less if you buy there. They have a ton of berts and cannon stuff.

If it was May I'd say head over to Manistee or Ludington and start looking at how other boats are rigged in the marinas. Since that's not really an option but you do have some time before the boat will go in the water, I would head for the two bigger fishing shows that are happening in March -- Flint Steelheaders in Birch Run (March 7/8/9) and the Ultimate Fishing Show in Grand Rapids (March 20-22). You should be able to see and talk to most/all of the main track & rod holder manufactures or their reps.

Then you can put together a plan as to how you want to set the boat up. With that list I'd then contact places like Calumet Marine and Big Papa Sportfishing to have them put together a package deal for what you want. If you choose to go with tracks directly mounted to the boat then pricing out the pieces at Northwoods. Fortunately tracks from Bert's, Traxstech, Cannon and others will allow use of parts from any of the other companies.

You also mention that you want to replace the fishfinder and GPS. Lots of good units out there but my general recommendation would be to get a fishfinder system that will allow for multiple displays. It is older now, but my Raymarine setup has a black box sounder that allows me to run a helm display and a stern display. Having the helm unit is great when running out to find fish but when fishing, having the one on the stern is really useful. It makes it really easy to adjust the presentation based on what shows on the fish finder -- if I see a fish 40' deeper than my riggers are running, I can quickly move one down to the fish (and you would be surprised how often it will get hit right away). Some of the newer gear will also let you use a tablet as a secondary display using WiFi or Bluetooth to transmit from the main head unit.

You also said "If you could buy what ever you wanted to outfit a new boat" and the one thing you don't list is an auto pilot. If the boat doesn't have one it would be high on my list of things to add. Makes fishing a lot more enjoyable when you are not having to worry about keeping the boat straight on course -- also when running in/out or when cruising. Lots of good models out there for this too with Garmin, Simrad, and Raymarine all having excellent units for your size vessel.

You won't know until you get the boat out on the water but a pair of trolling bags is another item you may need/want to look at. Not only do they give you more precise trolling speed control but they will reduce the side to side roll in many sea conditions and make the ride more comfortable. Big Papa and Amish Outfitters both have good bags and a call to either will get you a recommendation for the right size.

Welcome to the GLF site Justin. Another way to value a boat is with a marine surveyor, he can also do a full inspection for a few hundred too. As for a trailer, if you're going to move that boat across state twice or more per year, it might be a good idea to start looking for one on CL or Boat Trader. Also, check out the storage guys in your two areas, they may have one for sale. It will pay for itself quickly, and you will be the boss of the time and dates to move the boat from now on. Good fishing, nice upgrade.

This is our 2004, 299 Baha cruiser. We used our 4 Big Jon Brute's from our previous 252 Sportcarft and also the same idea but taller bird tree rod holders. We went from 3 rod holders to 5. The boat is coming out of storage early March and I will post more pictures after that.

The pic with the motors shows the extra rocket launchers and the bird trees during the manufacturing process. All the bird trees and the downrigger bars are backed with 1/2" Aluminum bars.

post-4803-14498787802232_thumb.jpg

post-4803-14498787802672_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...