Fish Hawk vs finder?

X53Gunner

Ok I started Salmon Fishing Last year on Lake Michigan and had a huge learning curve. However felt I didn't do to bad for a first timer. Anyway I have a Lowrance HD with structure scan. I'm now looking at picking up a Fish Hawk x4 or the xd4 haven't quit decide on what one yet. My question is, I see were the speed at the ball makes a big difference with the currents, and the Fish Hawk will help a great deal in that. I understand that the fish live in certain columns of water according to temperature and I also see were the Fish Hawk will ad in that, however can't I see what depths the fish are at by watching my finder and in turn pretty much know were the temps / column the fish are living in at? Just curious as maybe there is something I'm over looking here. Thanks for your time and all the knowledge you guys and gals pass on to us trying to learn!

Scott

The X4D is to better reproduce the depth of your lure.

If you see fish at 70' on your depth finder and you run out 70' of cable on the downrigger counter, your lure may not be at 70' for 2 reasons: blowback and counter error. If your probe reads 70' on the X4D, you know your lure is at 70 feet even if your counter reads a few feet differently.

It's the fine details that help you fill the box.

You can mark fish all day long and not catch a thing. Dialing in on the specifics helps to get more bites. Some days speed is everything. If you can get a pattern on fish hitting at a certain speed, the Fish Hawk will help you reproduce that everytime. Also temp... If you figured out the fish are only biting in 50 degree water, you can move you baits there and get more hookups. Maybe you graph is loaded wish fish, but you figure out that the active feeding fish are in 50 degree water. Your graph can't tell you that.

Another big one is autopilot. On tough days a certain direction will be key. Sometimes to the degree (Example: 200 degrees on the compass). If you waver from that 200 degrees you don't get bites, but whenever you get on that 200 heading it seems to work.

It's all about the fine details... Some days its easy and everyone catches fish. Other days.... not so much. The Fish Hawk will allow you to focus on the fine details.

• Like 1

Having the actual depth on the Fish Hawk will make it much easier and faster to pinpoint where all your temp breaks and current layers are located. Just reading off the rigger counters is going to add an amount of variance. For example, if your fishing deep and into a strong current your counter may be off by 10' to 20'. Its surprising to see sometimes how little changes like a small shift in troll direction can change how deep your gear is running. I don't think the depth function on the Function is a necessity, but it certainly is a nice feature.

Also, just targeting an area where you see fish on your sonar isn't always where your going to take hits. The only time you get a true reading on how deep a fish is is when you go right over the top of them. The further out to the side of the cone the fish are the deeper they will show up on the graph.

Thank you very much for all the feedback from everyone! Nice to know there are people willing to help out us that are learning! After reading all the reply's it looks like the X4D will be added to my boat. Now just have to wait for the colossal amount of ice on Lake MI to melt this year...LOL

Thank you very much for all the feedback from everyone! Nice to know there are people willing to help out us that are learning! After reading all the reply's it looks like the X4D will be added to my boat. Now just have to wait for the colossal amount of ice on Lake MI to melt this year...LOL

Go with the fishhawk that was my first addition too screw the finder you never catch those fish anyway.

It's the fine details that help you fill the box.

You can mark fish all day long and not catch a thing. Dialing in on the specifics helps to get more bites. Some days speed is everything. If you can get a pattern on fish hitting at a certain speed, the Fish Hawk will help you reproduce that everytime. Also temp... If you figured out the fish are only biting in 50 degree water, you can move you baits there and get more hookups. Maybe you graph is loaded wish fish, but you figure out that the active feeding fish are in 50 degree water. Your graph can't tell you that.

Another big one is autopilot. On tough days a certain direction will be key. Sometimes to the degree (Example: 200 degrees on the compass). If you waver from that 200 degrees you don't get bites, but whenever you get on that 200 heading it seems to work.

It's all about the fine details... Some days its easy and everyone catches fish. Other days.... not so much. The Fish Hawk will allow you to focus on the fine details.

All of the tools mentioned help. I have the Fishawk X4 and it is a real plus for finding active fish. Fish marked are not always active fish. I find that zeroing in on currents and temperatures are keys to catching active fish. You can mark fish all day and become frustrated that you can't get anything going. Find the right temp range and the fish you mark there are more likely to strike.

My auto pilot is really an important tool also. It enables me to work on the back deck and maintain the rite direction to keep the baits running correctly. Net fish and reset lines. If you don't have autopilot u really need a driver that can keep your compass heading going without getting too far off.

• Like 1

The currents were so strong last year, the same throttle speed, different direction was making a huge difference. Knowing the direction of the current and your speed at the lure was huge. We woulda had lures hanging at times without it!

This is one of the biggest advantages of having it is keeping your down speed the same on all directions of troll. Temp is important but not as important as the down speed.

• 4 months later...

Old thread but I Just bought the X4D and went 5 for 7 on our first trip out yesterday w/ only 6 rods :D We followed all the advice from others and down speed, temp and depth were all useful to a decent day when fishing has been slow. 3 of our 7 fish were on the Fish Hawk rigger itself... I'm an instant believer!

Awesome dude I hate our fish finder , now I can see them there fish laughing at us and pointing to the back of the boat . Plus when the admiral driving the boat sees fish on the finder she turns into a foul mouth deadliest catch captain !!!!

Awesome dude I hate our fish finder , now I can see them there fish laughing at us and pointing to the back of the boat . Plus when the admiral driving the boat sees fish on the finder she turns into a foul mouth deadliest catch captain !!!!

HAHA. Thought I had the only one like that!!