Reel without level wind?

Play Dough

Several years ago, I spooled an old Penn 309 reel with 300’ of copper as a low cost setup to trial copper line fishing. Well, here it is many years later and I’m still making do with that old 309 with the level wind slightly spread and a star drag that isn't the most consistent. I’m thinking maybe it’s time to upgrade just a touch. What do you guys that use reels without a level wind have? I believe that’s the route I want to take. When the line is retrieved on that type of reel, does the line/wire tend to distribute itself somewhat evenly on the spool or do you need to guide it some with your finger?

This really doesn't answer your question but, I still use a reel with a levelwind for my coppers. The Tekota 700 or 800 and the Okuma 55L have no problems running the copper through them. They all have a much higher retrieve than the 309. I bought both of my copper reels used so I change the drags to Tuna Toms and they are awesome. The Okuma is the cheaper of the 3 reels. If you truly want a reel with no levelwind, they make the 55 without one, or you can remove the guide from them.

Very few high end reels even offer level wind so I just took one of my reels for a 200 copper that had been skipping on the level wind and causing problems 20 min later no more level wind issues. This also increase clearance on the reel because when the level wind would skip the copper would bunch up and hit the level wind making the problem even worse. If this saves me one birds nest a season it will be worth it.

levelwind all the way ! you pick the size, brand, new , used , line capc. etc. but skip the PIA of trying to guide the line back on with your fingers. if you get a backlash never you dont fish copper enough, if you get one only with a levelwind you need to fish copper more.

My mindset all began after talking to the guys at Tuna's a year or so ago and asking them what they'd recommend for copper. They commented that the popularity of copper line fishing was a repair guy's friend...I was guessing because of things done to level wind reels to accommodate the large knots (like I did) and the damage done to a reel. Maybe the Okuma reel level winds are open enough to handle the copper knots. I haven't been an Okuma customer so don't know that. The various models of Penn and Daiwa (all older reels) that I own won't handle copper without modification. Therefore, I was curious about what guys used that were fishing without a level wind. Maybe my best course of action is to just remove the level wind from the Penn I'm using and give that a try for a trip to see if I have a problem coping without it.