transducer frequency question

dballock17

i was looking at a humminbird 1100 series sonar/gps combo and the frequencies it uses are 83khz and 200khz, i wanted to get the best transom mount transducer i can so i was looking at airmar transducer but they say the compatable transducers are 60khz and 200khz. will that work? thanks for any input.

The 1100 series uses dual beam transducer technology. It needs a dual frequency transducer at 83 kHz (60* wide beam) and 200 kHz (20* wide beam). Many of the 1100 series units also have side scanning and that requires a triple frequency transducer with a 455 kHz beam as well. All of the units come with a transducer with the appropriate configuration.

I would call Frank at Calumet Marine to discuss your specific needs and situation with. He is very knowledgeable on the Humminbird units and will know what transducers will work best.

Calumet Marine is also a GLF site sponsor. web site: www.calumetmarine.com

I'll second what Ryan said, I got my Garmin through Frank and Ryan. Very very satisfied.:thumb:

The only real advantage to changing transducers would be if you wanted a thru hull or different configuration. I think Airmar makes the transducer for most of the major sonar units anyhow. However when they design and manufacture a unit for a company they do not usually release it themselves under their name as often the company holds rights to them as well. No different than if you made a part for Ford or GM they would hold sales and distribution rights to the product.

I'm really impressed by what I see with the CHIRP. Cost is an additional $250-300 from what I have heard. In spring or if you fish Erie I think the down & side imaging would be useful. At around an additional $100 for DI not too bad. $500 more for SI seems too pricey to me for what I'd use it for.

I have seen some AWESOME screen shots of chirp sounders but I have also read about some poor experiences. I am still on the fence with chirp. In theory it is by far a better technology but still not convinced it is the answer for us fishing relatively shallow waters. Most of my research has focused around the higher end models. Maybe the newer, "baby" chirp models are more user friendly and conducive to our needs.

I have not seen or heard any reviews on Humminbird chirp but their new line of products is initially impressive. If chirp/side imaging/down imaging are all selling point to you I would maybe consider Garmin or Simrad. They are the leaders in chirp sounders for the average guy and both are now offering versions on down imaging and side imaging.

here is a somewhat educational thread on chirp

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/521286-garmin-chirp-vs-furuno-chirp-shoot-out-6.html