Hi everyone - ice fisherman/women here?

Hey everyone. I found this forum because I always think a lot about my dad this time of year, and he was with all his being a fisherman and hunter. I did a google search of his name and came across this topic from 7 years ago. His name was Peter Ries and he died on February 7th, 2007 ice fishing outside of Linwood on Lake Michigan. In the summers he was a charter boat captain out of Frankfort's East Shore Marina, known as "Lucky" to the guys there. That was his boats name, and he also would fish in any weather, had a small boat, and would always bring in a catch. His best friends were fisherman, and he once told me he'd be happy if he died while he was fishing. Well, he did, because he was fishing in unsafe ice conditions. He told me himself a week before he passed away that he was itching to get out on the bay, but he didn't think the ice was ready. He skipped out on his carpal tunnel surgery that day to go fishing instead! I just wanted to spread the word and bring this article back to light, that people need to be careful and check conditions. Here is the thread I came across:

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3969

As for myself, I've done quite a bit of fishing. Took a couple years for me to walk on the ice again after that, but I've been out since then. Love the Great Lakes. Loved taking outdoors and fisheries classes when I was in college. Taught a lot of little kids to fish at the summer camp I worked at up in the UP. My little girl is 2 now and she's going to be getting her first little fishing pole in an Easter basket this year. Starting a little late in my dad's terms probably, because I remember sitting on the couch casting fishing line across the livingroom with my dad when I was just 1! Really sad my dad never got to meet my husband. Haven't been fishing in a couple years now since having my baby but I'm hoping to get out again this spring. My husband doesn't fish, but anyone in the Petoskey area need a fishing buddy someday (two buddies actually, one is quite small). Any women on here?

Welcome to GLF. That was very sad what happened to your dad and bringing up that post is good reminder for all of us. If you ever make it down to Ludington, your welcome on my boat with my wife or daughters. Just send me a PM here. If your hubby likes to golf, we play a lot of that in Ludville in the afternoons. We fish the mornings, maybe take a nap, hit the course and then have cook out/potluck with my neighbors. I can't wait for summer.

Hi Christe - welcome to the site. I'm sorry to learn of your father's passing 7 years ago in that unfortunate incident. I'm sure he would be proud that you are carrying on those outdoor traditions and values.

I myself enjoy fishing all the time with my wife and new born daughter. Not sure how many female members we have on the site, but we are glad to have you! Welcome aboard :)

Christel, I did not know your dad, but remember when this happened. It's sad that your daughter will not get to fish with your day, but she will remember every day out with you.

I wish you, and her the best of luck, and be safe.

Welcome to the site.

Great story and thank you for sharing...it must have been a challenge...I know it would be for me. Welcome to the site. I think you are a little bit north, but anytime you are in the Holland area, just ask - there are always guys looking to take new people out and love seeing children catch fish.

Christel, A warm :welcome: to the GLF site. I lost a good friend, on the Bay, in March of 2008. We can find peace knowing that they were doing what they loved right up to the end. RIP Pete R. and Frank D.

I'm looking forward to your fishing reports. Holler if you need any help. I fish the bay a lot during the Spring and Summer.:) Come on Spring.

My daughters are terrors on the big lake, regulars at tournaments, and pretty good on the stick. Their mom despite being eight months pregnant put a 21# king on the boat this year, besting me of course. So I think it's great to see more women out here. Don't let it bug you there aren't more!