New Evolution sport pilot

rbradley

Anyone see this yet? looks like raymarine has improved the sportpilot again, the evolution series doesn't use a compass, just a 9 axis gyro and then feeds back the direction from the GPS. they are saying no tuning required and sensor can be mounted anywhere. you can pair the system with all of their drive systems, including sportpilot

Really wish I had a couple grand to drop on an AP for my GLS220...

example from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-RAYMARINE-EV-200-SPORT-PILOT/dp/B00EUMTJK6

• 3 weeks later...
Will the spx-5r work with the steering on my 1999 22ft. Trophy? I think it is rack and pinion and has the 4.3 i/o.

My girlfriend loses focus every now and again, which causes some friction!!

Thanks!

it should work, it will work even better if you have power assist.

Will the spx-5r work with the steering on my 1999 22ft. Trophy? I think it is rack and pinion and has the 4.3 i/o.

My girlfriend loses focus every now and again, which causes some friction!!

Thanks!

They are rated to 4400 pounds for mechanical steering, I'd think your boat would be under that.

7000 lb rating with hydraulic.

Man thats a really tempting price but from what i understand that evolution is supposed to learn the way your boat handles and auto adjust the sensitivity and you dont have to do any calibration. Just mount it connect it and go. Anchor Express has it for 1800.00 http://www.anchorexpress.com/raymarine-ev-200-sport-pilot-t70159

I am thinking of going for the eveloution model.

Man thats a really tempting price but from what i understand that evolution is supposed to learn the way your boat handles and auto adjust the sensitivity and you dont have to do any calibration. Just mount it connect it and go. Anchor Express has it for 1800.00 http://www.anchorexpress.com/raymarine-ev-200-sport-pilot-t70159

I am thinking of going for the eveloution model.

I was thinking about doing the same, until I realized that the evolution doesn't have nmea0183 inputs so I would have to buy the $200 converter to nmea2000. According to west marine they aren't expecting the evolutions for 3-5 months yet. Raymarine hasn't shipped any production units yet.

I was thinking about doing the same, until I realized that the evolution doesn't have nmea0183 inputs so I would have to buy the $200 converter to nmea2000. According to west marine they aren't expecting the evolutions for 3-5 months yet. Raymarine hasn't shipped any production units yet.

OH ok. I have an hds and it has both the 0183 and 2000. What gps do you have that it only has the 0183.

OH ok. I have an hds and it has both the 0183 and 2000. What gps do you have that it only has the 0183.

I have a huminbird 957C, similar to the sportpilot I got it when they were discontinuing them and went to the side imaging and down imaging models.

We have our first baby arriving in 7 weeks so I was pushing it as it was budget wise to sneak in the spx

I have a huminbird 957C, similar to the sportpilot I got it when they were discontinuing them and went to the side imaging and down imaging models.

We have our first baby arriving in 7 weeks so I was pushing it as it was budget wise to sneak in the spx

Oh ok some units you have to turn on the nema2000 that is whay i was wondering.

Congrats on the Baby. It will change your life for the better. We have two the second was born last summer so i know how money is at that point in time and trying to squeeze in buying stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

That really is a huge inprovements flux gate compasses are as out of date as a 8 track tape player

A gyroscope is the state of the art navigation

Some auto pilots still use flux gate with rudder sensors they quit using this set up in air planes in the early 70s

But I still have guys telling me how great they are

But no auto pilot is any good that's not installed and calibrated properly

Lots of opinions out there though and we try to be respectfull to these guys with there wild notions or the way things are

Do your home work pick the best auto pilot for your budget

Lots more info on

Www.nmea.org

Or just google

Flux gate compass VS gyroscope

I hope they don't go back to using flux gate compasses in air planes again if they do remind me not to fly to Bermuda that has turned out bad more than one time