Why did we ever stop

Let me date myself a little......remember the Rebel Fastrac minnows. I always had great success running them off the boards fishing the scum lines out of Frankfort and had pretty good success running them on downriggers too. The old color selector colors of red, orange, or purple were my favorites. The C.C Shads were also killer for coho up high. I still run them in Saginaw bay for walleye and on Lk Huron for silver.

I too love Rebel Fastracks. I had several dozen painted up for me 15 years ago and still have a couple of each color. Great bait that runs true at higher speeds. That bait me got me Super skipper and heaviest king in the 25th annual River Crab Salmon stakes tournament. Its was one of those days when the action of the Fastrack was the only thing they would hit that day for some reason.

I know i am not the oldest dog in this hunt but I started Salmon fishing in Muskegon in 1969 with my uncle. We built most of out own gear because most of it did not exist here. My other uncle has been a commercial fisherman in AK since the mid 60's and he gave us lots of ideas but we had to build it ourselves. So we made Down riggers out of old pulleys and fished large flatfish Squids and Spoons. My first Big Lake tackle box probably only had 6 or 7 lures as they became more popular and available we bought more. Loco spoons,Little Cleo's, Northport Nailers, the list just kept growing. Not because the old stuff would not catch fish but the constant search for new and better drove us. So we bought new and it also caught fish and we bought more new and it caught fish while the old collected dust. Now I have so many spoons that if I ran a 6 rod spread and changed it out every 15 min it would take me several days to get them all wet and that is just spoons. Add in over a 100 plugs, hundreds of flasher fly combo's Meat rigs ect. With all that guess what I will likely buy more this year. The only thing a vast majority of my lures has ever caught was my eye and my wallet. But hey if you say your catching fish on something I probably have one or something that looks just like it on my boat.

.. But hey if you say your catching fish on something I probably have one or something that looks just like it on my boat.

I probably have two of them since it is just wrong to only buy one of a new bait... what happens if the first one actually catches a fish? If I have caught more than two fish on a particular lure on a trip, I probably have four of them -- especially if I find it in a discount bin.

As for the original post topic, it isn't so much that the "old" stuff won't work as much as a new "hot" lure or presentation is found to work and gets more water time. Sort of like the Top 40 radio stations... they don't play the old music because the new "hot" songs are what are being bought. The new stuff gets more air time. Personally I probably use more old lures than most but have added new one to the arsenal such as UV and flashers over dodgers. While I do much prefer the classic rock stations, I do listen to modern country too (and that's the majority of CDs I have bought recently too).

I probably have two of them since it is just wrong to only buy one of a new bait...

I don't see how that catches fish. On my boat, any hot lure stops working the minute there's a back up on board. Of course, any hot lure is guaranteed to get stolen by a 30 lb.-er as well.:grin: