Down rigger release?

I have been using the Cannon offshore release and wandering the forum I found a thread on people using the chamberland release, I also see the Big Jon release mentioned.

I like the idea of being able to load the rod up more and not have it release.

Both look a bit similar and I was wondering is one preferred over the other?

I fish Superior mostly for Trout and Salmon, using spoons for the most part on the riggers.

TIA

Al

I used the Blacks/Dubro/Walker arm release for years and they work well -- actually used the Dubro version because it has the snap to connect to the ball built in. I have never been a fan of the pinch pad releases.

Changed to the Chamberlain for the last 4 seasons because of the dual adjustments. While they are great for Erie/Saginaw Bay walleye to prevent dragging small fish around, I also like them to be able to have different strike settings for spoons/plugs verses flashers. Being able to set it lighter for early spring Coho and Browns is also nice.

I fish with Chamberlain's and like them better than the Offshore releases but I might have to try Blacks. Even when tightened down the Chamberlain's tend to release over 3 mph on GPS.

As I think of this I might add Northern and Musky fishing to the mix, seems the Chamberlain will work for great lakes trout and salmon, but might release if I try trolling larger baits at +3mph

I have a idea to try trolling for these fish running the downriggers at 15-30 foot using suspended hardbaits, any suggestions for this?

Would the blacks hold?

Maybe I need both? :D

Al

I know a lot of people love the Blacks releases, but I've always preferred the pinch pad type myself. I use the large Scotty releases with the long tether. you can absolutely load the crap out of those releases without getting false releases and with the long tether, shakers are clearly telegraphed to the rod tip, even with a fully loaded rod, so you're not dragging them around.

Tim

I know a lot of people love the Blacks releases, but I've always preferred the pinch pad type myself. I use the large Scotty releases with the long tether. you can absolutely load the crap out of those releases without getting false releases and with the long tether, shakers are clearly telegraphed to the rod tip, even with a fully loaded rod, so you're not dragging them around.

Tim

Is this what you mean?

Scotty 1173 Powergrip Plus Line Release w/ 48" Leader & Cable Snap

Do they seem to work better than the Cannon offshore ones?

I had the feeling there was no simple answer for this, appears I might have to pick up one each of the Chamberlains, Blacks and Scotty's and make a fishing trip out of it.:D

Al

Just a vote for the #33 rubberband using a cannon bandbuster release. If you want to troll 11" paddles or big plugs just doubleup. You will see the rod shake before it releases and you get more positive hookups. 2 ways to attach the band to the line, spin it or take 1 wrap around 2 fingers and put the band thru the loop, pull the loop tight and it is a no slip set

Just a vote for the #33 rubberband using a cannon bandbuster release. If you want to troll 11" paddles or big plugs just doubleup. You will see the rod shake before it releases and you get more positive hookups. 2 ways to attach the band to the line, spin it or take 1 wrap around 2 fingers and put the band thru the loop, pull the loop tight and it is a no slip set

I see Big Jon's has them, they might work well for the big baits, just keep adding rubber bands till the bait doesn't trip it, Musky are not usually a meek biter.. :)

I have been using the Cannon offshore release and wandering the forum I found a thread on people using the chamberland release, I also see the Big Jon release mentioned.

I like the idea of being able to load the rod up more and not have it release.

Both look a bit similar and I was wondering is one preferred over the other?

I fish Superior mostly for Trout and Salmon, using spoons for the most part on the riggers.

TIA

Al

I've been using the Chamberlains for the last three years. They have been great. I used the Big Jon rubber band release ones before that, and they were OK, although I prefer not to use the rubber bands.

Tried the Chamberlain stacker release. It seemed to work OK, however one of my fishing partners had an awe shucks and it ended up in the Lake somewhere. Don't think I'll replace it.

Paul C.

Is this what you mean?

Scotty 1173 Powergrip Plus Line Release w/ 48" Leader & Cable Snap

Do they seem to work better than the Cannon offshore ones?

I had the feeling there was no simple answer for this, appears I might have to pick up one each of the Chamberlains, Blacks and Scotty's and make a fishing trip out of it.:D

Al

Yes that's it, though you don't really need to go to the 48" leader, the 30" is more than enough. They work much better than the other ones, if you bury your line in the back of those it'll never release without a fish biting and if you're fishing deep, it takes some effort to pop them from the boat.

Most of the guys I know, (including myself) use the large scotty planer releases, which is the same clip on a shower curtain ring for running long coppers off of big boards, they'll pull a 500'+ copper all day in heavy seas and not pop the release unless a fish hits.

Tim

Thanks all.

I ended up ordering a pair of Scotty power grips and 2 Chamberlain releases, I'll pick up a couple Blacks at my local store and give them a whirl too, I'm getting the feeling I'll end up using which ones fit the style of fishing I'm doing at the time.

Also looking at the Big Jons Band Buster for musky baits.

Thanks goodness I only have two riggers. :)

I also got a pair of Roemer stacker releases for Xmas, not sure how they will work, but I'll try them.

Al