DNR limit

sarah c

I know that other states have a limit of five fish of any kind. I heard a rumor that the Michigan DNR was considering changing our limit to five fish of any kind. I was wondering if anybody had heard this and if they might be considering the change in the future. Just curious and wondering if anybody had heard this.

Five fish of any kind? Keeping 5 perch isn't worth it. Haven't heard of such action, not in the new reg's booklet.

There was talk of increasing the salmon limit to 5. I think this was one of the options the dnr was considering when they decided to cut the stockings.

There was an article in a newsletter I read recently. That they were going to leave the 3 fish limit in place because get this: There is a current expectation of how good the fishing is right now....People have been easily limiting out so it grows a perception. IF they move the limit back to five then the perception of how good the fishing is will no longer be there because less people will limit out.

Now if that isn't the biggest bunch of cow dung I've ever heard.

And in the same sentence they state that raising the limit to the sportfishing group will NOT effect actual salmon numbers in the lake.

So basically it is all political.

Hey Rob,

I had some time this morning and thought that I would email the DNR my self to find out the truth about your (?) on the fish limit.

This is what they told me:

Response (Lynne Thoma) - 03/20/2006 10:09 AM

There is no truth to the rumor. The regulations in place this year will remain

until March 31, 2008.

Many of our species have a (5) fish limit now. At this point, I see no changes

in possession limits

Well there you go,

Rich

I'm with you on this Sixshooter.

I just want to know what of our many species have a five fish limit now?

1.Walleye

2. Northern Pike

3. Smallmouth Bass

4. Largemouth Bass

Well......hmmmmmmmmmm.....yep that's it. Seems a little funny to me that the higher limits are placed on non-renewable species that's numbers can easily be eradicated from most bodies of water if overharvested. The only one with an agressive stocking program is walleye, and then only in certain waters.

And it also seems a little premature to set these new reg's in stone for 3 seasons shortly after implementing new stocking levels on salmonoids as well as the forage base issues without seeing what happens to the fishery first. Perhaps they used the DNR crystal ball to see the future? Oops. Can't be, unless they saw the mess we are now in and just let it happen anyhow.

Actually You are correct except for Northern Pike Levi. The daily Limit on Northerns now is 2 per day.

But all the same you are right.

I'm with you on this Sixshooter.

I just want to know what of our many species have a five fish limit now?

1.Walleye

2. Northern Pike

3. Smallmouth Bass

4. Largemouth Bass

Well......hmmmmmmmmmm.....yep that's it. Seems a little funny to me that the higher limits are placed on non-renewable species that's numbers can easily be eradicated from most bodies of water if overharvested. The only one with an agressive stocking program is walleye, and then only in certain waters.

And it also seems a little premature to set these new reg's in stone for 3 seasons shortly after implementing new stocking levels on salmonoids as well as the forage base issues without seeing what happens to the fishery first. Perhaps they used the DNR crystal ball to see the future? Oops. Can't be, unless they saw the mess we are now in and just let it happen anyhow.

I don't have a horse in this race, I really don't care whether the Chinook limit stays at 3 or goes to 5.

However, out of curiousity, a question for Levi, or anyone else that knows. Does the Mich Charter Boat Assn(not you personally) have a position on this? After all, that group was instrumental in getting the change to 3 rod/person while trolling the great lakes for salmonids. That took some clout, since that doesn't even seem to have logic or science behind it. A change to 5 chinooks DOES have logic behind it, if the goal is to reduce the chinook population, but it's been tossed aside. Perhaps lots of charter captains are happy to punch their tickets on chinooks earlier as often as possible(gas is expensive, cleaning them is already enough of a chore, etc.).

Like I said, I'm just curious, not trying to start anything

Oops, my bad Jim. I knew that. They just add into the 5 in combination mix. Sorry.

as far as Chinook limits, I believe that they should raise it to 5 as that would be in line with the surrounding States and would help reduce the numbers. If the statistics provided by the DNR concerning natural reproduction are factual, it wouldn't hurt the resource. I never just try to punch my ticket with customers, so it won't hurt me there. But it is a good point to ponder.;)

According to the DNR Michigan Fishing Guide, there is no limit changes this year, and it says in the book that the rules will be in place for the next fishing season as well (Till March 2008). The only change was on Lake Trout sizes (which opens May 1- Sept. 30):

Read the guide to make sure there is no confussion on size limits.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/great-lakes-trout-salmon_151607_7.pdf