COPPER questions

I'm setting up 4 copper rods for the upcoming season. Can anyone help me with what I should use for backing? And it was suggested to me to put it in 100 ft increments with mono in between to allow me to use different lengths? His anyone heard of that? What kind of knots or crimps for the copper? Thanks as always to everyone on here.

I have used both 20# mono or braid. If you use braid put a 6' section of mono between the braid and copper so you have a place to attach the board. as far as the 100' increments I would stay away from that. with 4 different setups I would go with 250, 300, 300, and 350.

I have been redoing the backing on my coppers this winter and plan to go with Blood Run 20# backer.

i'd go with 300,250,200 and a 100 copper #45..i use 30lb pline cxx for backer.i personally don't like segmenting copper. couple of bad parts for me is all the knots your putting in it and if a fish pulls a lot of line on you there is weight in front of your planer board wanting to pull down the board

For long coppers (300'+) I use 50# braid backing and for short coppers (250'-) i use Blood Run 30# copper backer.

Im not a fan of segmenting your copper. Too many splices = trouble.

As for your connections backing to copper and copper to leader... my first choice would be a Spro heavy swivel size #3 but an albright knot will also do.

For long coppers (300'+) I use 50# braid backing and for short coppers (250'-) i use Blood Run 30# copper backer.

Im not a fan of segmenting your copper. Too many splices = trouble.

As for your connections backing to copper and copper to leader... my first choice would be a Spro heavy swivel size #3 but an albright knot will also do.

I second that, every splice is another possible hang up on guides or weak spot in the set up. I use 40# power pro for all my copper backers and have 200, 250, 300 and 450 set ups just be sure to use the proper size reel for each length. full reels mean more accurate lineconters and better drag operation.

I also put a 4 to 6 foot section of 40# big game mono between the backer and the copper, gives me a place t o attach boards without having to wrap the clamp.

I have 4 rods w/copper also; 150' and 300' of 45# and 30#; for my 30# 300' rig I put about 60' of 30# mono in the middle so I use either 150' or 300'; the end leader is of course 30# mono and backing on the reel is 35# Cortland Spectron Black Spot (bk/wh) braided line. The best way to connect braid or mono to copper is to make a small loop at the end and solder it; then you can use any standard knot to connect braid or mono to your copper.

Hope this helps.

Dan Agnello

Jackson, MI