Auto Pilot

Since you have Hyd steering there are almost no limits on choices. Everyone makes a system for Hyd steering. So what you need to do is make a list of all the boat electronics and how they network together if they do. If they don't currently then consider how they will with the new AP. Best results will come when all the stuff works together. My GPS Fishfinder combo has a network actually 2 different networks but the one I want to use won't work with my AP. That is why I mention this every company has networks built into all their new stuff the problem is getting them to talk to each other. So make sure all your gear is fully compatible which in most cases means all the same brand. Yes you are going to hear any of them can talk to any of them and that is partly true but the fact is just like hooking 2 computers together you can use a serial cable and sort of make it work or you can network them and get great results.

Hydraulic opens up a lot of options.

I have a Raymarine SmartPilot system and it is great. Works well for trolling and the runs in/out from port. I have it interfaced via NMEA to my GPS and can have it steer to a waypoint or even a series of waypoints. The newer models also have built in patters such as S turns, zig-zag, or circles around a waypoint...

I have heard good things about the Garmin GHP-20 system too. Sounds like it does a great job with how we use them for big lake trolling. Simrad still makes a good unit too but have not heard much since they discontinued their lower end units a few years back.

I installed all of the electronicscomponents myself but had Wolf's in Benton Harbor do the hydraulic pump and interface it to the steering. If you can do it yourself great, if not then I'd talk with whoever you would have do the install and to other people they have installed for. Make sure that the system they propose will do what you want.

With hydraulic steering systems one of the main things in choosing the right system is to determine how big your steering RAM is. The RAM has to be matched to the pump size. If it is too small it won't pump enough hydraulic fluid to be able to keep up with steering changes. Each manufacture will have different pumps to match the RAM size.

I am looking to put an Auto Pilot on my 23ft Sea Swirl. I was just curious as to any recommendations for what kind/brand to look at. Thanks

Im currently installing a Garmin GHP-10 on my rig. I went with Garmin because of all the positive feedback on this system. Will be putting it to the test this Spring.

If it were my choice I would pick the Garmin system because of the shadow drive feature. It allows you to make course corrections from the wheel without shutting off the AP which would be handy when you fish with a rookie. Many of the newer systems from other companies allow you to steer without shutting them down however nearly all of them return you to the original course when you let go of the wheel. This is called a dodge feature the Shadow Drive re plots the course if you make changes with the wheel similar to a Tom Tom when you miss your turn. It also includes multiple fishing patterns which can be handy esp if you like to chase Steelhead on temp breaks.

• 1 month later...