reels

Aaron, I'd spend the extra $8 and here are my reasons. The Cold Water just looks like it's made better. The line counter on the Cold Water is on the opposite side as the Convector. The Convector and Magda Pros drive their line counters with a long nylon gear shaft that runs from the left side of the reels to the line counter on the right side. I have had Magda and Convectors apart and they share some features and some parts. The fact that the Cold Water Line counter is on the left eliminates the need for this long nylon gear shaft. To me this is better engineering. Another plus having the counter on the left is it eliminates the possibility of resetting the counter accidentally while cranking the reel. I have bumped the reset before while fighting a fish on the Convector or Magda Pros. I have hands about the size of baseball mitts. LOL I have never fished with a Cold Water Okuma but have looked them over. Bottom Line: Sometimes you just have to test drive something to really know if it will fit your needs.

the Cold Waters are great reels and definitely a step up from the Convectors. For $8 a piece I think it is a no brainer. The first batch did have some issues but Okuma put out a recall on them. Unfortunately my first reels were part of the problem batch but once they were replaced they worked flawlessly.

I'm impressed that you have a Walmart that actually carries salmon trolling equipment. Lansing has 3 Walmarts and I don't think they have a viable bass or walleye reel in stock at any of them, let alone that you have a choice of models. :)

Walmart.com has em for free shipping. Walmart you can always get things shipped free to your store too. There is a nice little trick that if the website says your store has something and you go in there and they claim they don't have it. Go back online and order it to be shipped to your store. They will somehow magically find the item and it'll be available for pick-up within a couple of hours.

I'm impressed that you have a Walmart that actually carries salmon trolling equipment. Lansing has 3 Walmarts and I don't think they have a viable bass or walleye reel in stock at any of them, let alone that you have a choice of models. :)

They have them on the website and ship to the store with no shipping. They actually have quite bit of stuff online that you would never see in their stores.

• 2 weeks later...

A few of our guys got all new cold waters in spring and they were ALL junk by the end of may............from coho fishing. I'm sure they figured it out, but I won't be going anywhere near them until I'm sure that they aren't the first run.

A few of our guys got all new cold waters in spring and they were ALL junk by the end of may............from coho fishing. I'm sure they figured it out, but I won't be going anywhere near them until I'm sure that they aren't the first run.

i got my first ones in April and they were nearly useless by the end of May. The replacement reels worked flawlessly through the rest of the season. Unfortunately there is no way to tell when buying from a retailer whether the reels will be from the first batch or the new reels, especially an online retailer like Walmart.

They have them on the website and ship to the store with no shipping. They actually have quite bit of stuff online that you would never see in their stores.

Try online, they will have them and more, but u have to order online and pickup at the store. I would rather spend a little more and get them from a store that actually supports the fishery. Lake Michigan Outfitters, Brett's Place on the Bay in St Joseph has a great selection, that can be purchased online at reasonable prices.

• 3 months later...