Lets talk Plugs

I am in need to restock my plugs as we lost a few and had a few swiped. So I would like to ask

What are your guy favorite plug (Manufacturer)and presentations.

I had a mix of just about everything last few years. Now I think I kind of like the plugs with out the harnesses. Is there any down side to not using the J plug style harnesses.

i believe silver horde has a new plug out called the upside under model. It is all the same patterns and design but the paint and and design are on the bottom of the plug. Salmon only see up and to the side. So the idea is the fish is seeing the bottom of the lure more than the top so they put they paint and design on the bottom. I do not have any but will be purchasing some this spring. My favs are the siver hords and dream weaver cut plug in green and blue splatterback glow.

The only upside to the sliding J plug harness is if you rig it so it can slide up away from the hooks. Most people use a snap swivel to attach them so they can't really slide up. I only use Silver Horde plugs and have a bunch of J Plugs to get rid of since they have not been wet in years.

I too have gone to mostly the Silver Horde plugs and mainly the Ace High model. I actually started using the Silver Horde brand products back in the mid 70's with a special order to the manufacturer in Washington. They were the size 4 & 5s and had better color combinations than other brands. I have liked them better than the Luhr Jensen product ever since -- both the bead chain hook and fixed hook models. I have some of the upside down painted ones too from Angler's Avenue in Wisconsin -- I liked the concept of the reverse paint jobs but can't say that they did better than the standard top painted patterns as far as hits or size of fish. One of the reasons I like the Ace Highs is their speed tolerance over other styles.

Like Jim/1Maniac I have been considering taking a whole lot of my J-Plugs to this year's swap meet. The only ones I like the J=Plug better for are the #5 florescent green and green laderbacks.

I also have quite a few of the Grizzly and Lucky Louie plugs which unfortunately are no longer made -- sure wish they were because they work very well on BIG fish.

Silver Horde, I also use the old Grizzly it is the original of the ACE HI, Made in Canada and still available. The Silver Horde sliding harness works the same as the J Plug and having the plug body slide away from the harness is a real plus. However J Plug and Silver Horde Harness's are not inter changeable. If you run the Silver Horde with the harness, use about 5' of leader and tie fast to the bead chain the head will slide away from the harness and give you a better chance of not coming un buttoned.

I too run the Ace-Hi plugs, the Spatter Back series, and all glow bodies, etc. BUT, my (2) most productive plugs by far are the sz 4 Wonder Bread and Bloody Nose Luhr Jensen "J" plugs. I also like the sz 5 Silver Bullet flat lined w/planer board, 300' back. If I had to pick just (1) plug, it would be the sz 4 Wonder Bread.

Edited by UBDSLO1
grammer!!!

• 3 weeks later...
i believe silver horde has a new plug out called the upside under model. It is all the same patterns and design but the paint and and design are on the bottom of the plug. Salmon only see up and to the side. So the idea is the fish is seeing the bottom of the lure more than the top so they put they paint and design on the bottom. I do not have any but will be purchasing some this spring. My favs are the siver hords and dream weaver cut plug in green and blue splatterback glow.

Reverse pattern is more to catch the fisherman more than the fish.

Think about it........how many live baitfish do you see out there with a reverse pattern?

Reverse pattern is more to catch the fisherman more than the fish.

Think about it........how many live baitfish do you see out there with a reverse pattern?

True. I always thought the same about bass top water plugs...they're all painted fancy on the top (that sits out of the water) but the bottoms are left white (what the fish see)!

• 2 weeks later...
How are the Silver Horde plugs different the the J-Plugs? Different material? Is it the color patterns that they offer? Just curious why the are so much more popular than the J's when they look to be the same design.

The hooks are attached so you can switch them on and off using a snap swivel just like with spoons, its just more convenient. The J's need to be tied directly to the line so it just takes a little more time to change baits on the water.

How are the Silver Horde plugs different the the J-Plugs? Different material? Is it the color patterns that they offer? Just curious why the are so much more popular than the J's when they look to be the same design.

The original Silver Horde plugs I purchased back in the early '70s were made of a different plastic material and offered colors that Luhr Jensen and Grizzly didn't have -- a clear mylar with prizm colors inside being the one I like (and not made anymore :(. These original plugs had the same bead chain harness design as Jplugs but the hole was a little smaller so Jplug harnesses cold not be used. There were also subtle differences in the body design of the plugs which I'm sure gives them a little different action.

The Ace High is the current "hot" plug from Silver Horde and does not use the bead chain hook harness going through the body. The hook harness is connected to the body with a split ring. The plugs are a thinner design and have a different nose than the standard Silver Horde and Jplugs which I find lets them be trolled at faster speeds. Many of the plugs originating in the Pacific Northwest use this design. The color patterns offered on the Ace High (and now other Silver Horde models) are different than other manufactures too (although now being knocked off by others).

Thanks for the clarification guys. I appreciate it. I went to Silver Horde web site after I posted my question and realized that if I scrolled down just a wee bit further, they had pics of the Ace Hi plugs with the fixed hooks. I did not realize they sold two different types of plugs. The Ace Hi Looks and sounds similar to the Tomic plugs that are popular in the PNW.

I am willing to take some #3 and #4 Js if anyone want to get rid of some. As always, how many I buy depends on the asking price. :D

mainly run the ace hi plugs..but its hard to beat a chrome red head j plug when they're locked in Muskegon lake

The #3 and #4 red head chrome J is my go to for Pere Marquette Lake too.

The 5 is great, but I wish that Silver Horde made the Ace-Hi in a smaller size.

• 4 weeks later...

The cut plug Js and Hordes were always a PM favorite. Also have some custom Spook Js and mag Stinger spoons I painted black w/ glow ladder backs I liked in PM Lake and harbor patrol. Black Raspberry,too.

Trina Rose if you are looking for plugs call me at Anglers Avenue we have the largest plug selection on all of the great lakes. We have 20ft worth of silver horde plugs custom colors galore. I can lead you to a few colors for different conditions.

Will you be adding the selection to your web site for we on line shoppers? Currently, I can only find one.