Lake Michigan and Lakers.

I have been fishing from Duluth to Silver Bay on lake Superior and having decent success, but fish over 10# are few and far between, I've been reading and watching a few video's that tell me Lake Michigan might be a better choice for that fish of a lifetime, or just Lakers over 10#'s.

And maybe that 20+# King I'd like to catch on a lighter (15# test) spinning rod.:D

Not trying to get anybodies honey hole, but just a place to start at, perferibly on the west side of the lake as I'm coming from MN.

I'll be running a Larson 2020 FX DC boat if that makes any difference.

TIA

Al

southern Wiscosin, Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha, all have consistent lake trout fishing as well as great salmon fishing. Racine and Kenosha tend to have salmon fishing start a little earlier in the year than Milwaukee but that is not always the case. This past summer the three ports produced at least a handful of 30 pound kings that I am aware of. 20 pound kings were pretty common occurrence. Now who knows what 2014 will bring.

The lake trout fishing out of Racine and Kenosha tend to be in the same general area as the ports are only 8 miles apart. There are a series of underwater hills about 5 miles offshore that tend to hold lake trout pretty consistently otherwise the offshore bite (up to 10-15 miles) can be really good too. Lake trout over 10 pounds are pretty common for us and 20 pound trout are definitely obtainable.

Isn't Stannard Rock on Superior?? That's where I would go for a laker trip of a lifetime!

Good Luck!

Yes, and someday I will, but not with a new boat and not till I get more comfortable with big waters.

Kinda like to at least see the shoreline for now. :)

Al

algoma n kewaunee r also good not sure about the lakers but lots a kings and bunches over 20 this year. as stated will c what next year will bring.
Isn't Stannard Rock on Superior?? That's where I would go for a laker trip of a lifetime!

Good Luck!

Just curious, people go out that far in 20 foot boats, looks like a 30 mile boat ride and if it gets to be rough water, that might be a bit much. ??

Maybe I'm over cautious but I could see having the weather channel on all the time.

Al

I started fishing Lake Michigan in the late 60's with my uncle in a 14ft Starcraft with mostly home made gear. We used to carry 3 tanks of fuel one to get out one to fish and one to get back in most days we only used two but had to use the third a few times. You have to pick your days but people run 20 to 30 miles out on the Gulf in 20ft boats all the time. My BIL still fishes lake Michigan in a 14ft FBD uses his 14 a lot as well. Size of boat does not always make you safer knowing your abilities and boat and watching the weather is what makes you safe. Other than a few SAR runs in the Coast Guard the worst weather I have ever fished in was in my uncles 14ft. I am not going to tell you to make a long run in your boat because we do it you have to decide what you and your boat can do. I will say if I wanted a trophy Laker I would head to Superior and fish Stannard rock. Add in the fact the lakers in Lake Superior are much better fish than we have down here.

i agree to a point with what has been said. If you are looking for that one big trophy fish, lake trout, then venture out to Stannard Rock. If you are looking to make memorable total fishing trip or weekend then Lake Michigan may still be a better bet. Your original post mentioned catching a big lake trout and maybe a 20 pound king. This is not a long shot depending on where you decide to fish. Its also not out of the question to catch multiple lake trout and kings over 10 pounds in one outing.

algoma n kewaunee r also good not sure about the lakers but lots a kings and bunches over 20 this year. as stated will c what next year will bring.

Thanks, grateful for all the help.

Having spread this question over two other web sites, I’m coming up with enough suggestions to keep me going well past this summer.

Add contacts to see before I go, and even a few people to go with and I think I have a pretty good basic idea of places to go now.

Just have to learn how to catch them now. :)

Thanks all for this and any other information coming.

Hopefully this summer I’ll be able to post that fish of a lifetime, or at least a great trip with good people.

Al

I would suggest Isle Royale for some dandy lakers. When I lived in the Keewenaw we used to run over every spring around Memorial Day for several days. The lakers were usually right up on the reefs and not uncommon to catch 20+lbs just highlining. The largest our group caught was 32lbs.

I would suggest Isle Royale for some dandy lakers. When I lived in the Keewenaw we used to run over every spring around Memorial Day for several days. The lakers were usually right up on the reefs and not uncommon to catch 20+lbs just highlining. The largest our group caught was 32lbs.

Can I ask where did you launch from and anywhere particular on the island, it's pretty big to just start at one end.. :)

Thanks.

Al

Al, I have not spent any time on the southern end of the island near Windigo (which is the closest from Grand Portage) but I would assume there is great fishing on that end of the island. We would go over in groups of boats either from the N entry @ Houghton or preferably from Copper Harbor which was 20 miles closer to the island. Have spent time in Malone Bay, Caribou Island, Tobin Harbor,and Todd Harbor. Always was some great fishing around middle island passage but my favorite area was near Scoville Pt to Blakes Pt.