Spreader Light Ideas

Long Lines

Starting to think about a few things I'd like to improve on the new boat. Haven't put a lot of thought into it yet but a rocket launcher has been discussed (mostly w/ Nick_DoubleDFishing_who fishes with me often); that could be an expensive, although very nice addition that may have to wait. Besides the money, lots to think about there...fit into current storage at home, hard or soft top integrated, etc.

Spreader lights mounted to Bert's swivel trees seems like it could come in handy early morning and late evening.

Was looking at the Taco Marine F38-4500 LED spreader lights and mounting it to the top of the tree tube...winding the wire around the tree.

So, any comments, ideas, smart remarks? ;)

for roughly the same price point I would suggest Coastal Night Lights spreader lights.

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/styles-LEDspreaders.html

There are many companies that make LED spreader lights that will have a brighter output and larger spread than the two but you will definitely pay for them. I would also think about running the wire through the inside of the Berts trees for a cleaner look

These are what I went to after lightning took out one of my LED spreaders a year ago. They are cheap and 2 of them in flood pattern make it daytime in the boat any time I hit the switch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-27W-12V-24V-LED-Work-Light-FLOOD-Lamp-Tractor-Truck-SUV-UTV-ATV-Offroad-/350940371131?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b5ad18bb&vxp=mtr

I paid nearly 5 times as much for the old ones and only one still works side by side you cannot tell the old ones are on when these are on and the old ones were pretty bad a$$. I am getting another set for my truck for driving lights.

i bought rigid lights havnt got em hooked up yet but turned them on n they r bright. bought them on many good reviews they got. maybe some1 else has actually used them on the water.

I have a pair of Rigid Industries Lights for spreaders. They are ridiculous but 2-3 Xs the price. I will try to post pictures later.

WOW....those Rigids are impressive lights! Thanks for the pics Josh. Well I guess you get what you pay for right. Good input on the lights guys. Will reconsider the Tacos and look at the Rigid and Coastals.

Anyone have direct experience with the Coastals?

My girlfriend is going to order me a coastal for x-mas that I am going to rig up to mount on my bimini/enclosure. Find out soon enough how they work and hold up. I'm not paying Rigid type prices for lighting that I don't use that often.

Although I went with the Rigid spreader lights, I did also just put a pair of Coastal Underwater lights on the boat. After seeing the Rigid Spreader lights in person I knew they were the only ones I would be happy with. Underwater lights on the other hand, I was in the same boat as you guys. There may be better underwater lights out there but I just was not willing to spend the money on them. I do not think you can beat Coastal products based on a value-to-quality stand point. And yes, Coastal does have an excellent reputation!

I'm likely going to be putting some coastals on my boat. Most days I time it just right so that by the time I get out to the fishing grounds there is just enough sunlight that I can see everything without lights, so I'm not interested in spending a fortune on the top of the line lights. Coastals should do me just fine for the limited use I'll get out of them. Friends that have them really like them so I'd say you can buy with confidence.

Just make sure you mount the coastal spreader where it won't get bumped. Bracket strength leaves a little to be desired. Good machinist friend made a new mounting brkt. out of aluminum and a little jb weld fixed the one on the light.

I've been running Coastals for a few years. No issues except for the mounts. I've broken a couple of the brackets by whacking the light with net handles but they're easy to replace. I also had someone hook their coat sleeve on the light getting in the boat, that time it broke the light where it attaches to the mount, I tried super glue and epoxy (didn't try JB Weld as noted above) with no luck. I sent Chris (the owner) an email, told him what happened and asked if I could buy a replacement light. He sent me a new one free of charge.

Top notch service, super bright, and made in USA. No brainer. Just mount them where they're not likely to get bumped if you can. I got a new boat this spring and mounted a new set on the bottom side of the rocket launcher, no issues so far.

• 2 weeks later...
I read some reviews on the Taco lights. They were not very good.

We had a boat with them on it................they were beyond dim and useless and way overpriced. I have a pair of halogen Jabsco's because they were already on there and they are fine, but as soon as one burns out I'm changing them out for a pair of coastals that I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought these last year, great price and seem to be very rugged and put a ton of light out

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WWIV3O/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I bought two arches from this company in Michigan. Great prices, high quality product, easy to setup and local. They ship to your door.

http://www.fishonsports.com/

• 2 months later...

Well, I did end up going with a Fish On Arch and some Coastal lighting...and some goodies from TraxTech. Good thing I sold the other boat to pay for some of this stuff! :D Working on installing everything over the next few weeks. Can't wait to get it all done and get it on the water. Will post some pics once its all done.