Auto Pilot Question. Need Help

Has anyone here ever installed a Garmin GHP 10 on a Lund Pro-V with 150 Hp engine, and 9.9 Hp kicker, or any aluminum boat with outboards for that matter? I'm looking to possibly purchase one for my boat, but wondering if anyone had any experience (good, or bad) using an AP on a small (19') boat. I usually fish with a buddy of mine, and while he's setting lines I'm usually stuck steering the boat. This would make fishing a lot more enjoyable, and probably more productive since I'll be able to help set lines too instead of steering the boat.:(

It would be very hard for me to go back to the days prior to my boat having an autopilot. No experience with the Garmin model (but have heard it is very good). I have fished with quite a few guys (mainly walleye pro) with aluminum boats in your size range that also have kickers for trolling. Many of them have the TR-1 (now owned/produced by Garmin as the Gladiator) and for trolling it does a great job. More features than "regular" autopilots and can also do throttle control -- somethjing I wish my Raymarine AP could do. What the "regular" autopilots will offer is steering when you are under power and the kicker APs won't do that.

The TR-1 also does not need hydraulic steering and almost all of the APs made for big engines do.

I agree w/ Dave (Killin It) and Bob (Coralee). I am currently trying to sell my 18' Lund Alaskan. Put the Terrova 80 w/ I Pilot on the bow a few years ago. Was an awesome upgrade to a simple boat. Used a 6 hp kicker for thrust. Drop the Kota, turn on the gps autopilot and set your direction. Set your speed so it has enough thrust to control the bow and you are hands free. Remote control on your belt if course changes are needed to land fish or dodge traffic. Makes a great autopilot for several hours of big lake trolling and can always be used for perch or walleye with the electronic anchor feature. Buy two good AGM batteries though.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone here ever installed a Garmin GHP 10 on a Lund Pro-V with 150 Hp engine, and 9.9 Hp kicker, or any aluminum boat with outboards for that matter? I'm looking to possibly purchase one for my boat, but wondering if anyone had any experience (good, or bad) using an AP on a small (19') boat. I usually fish with a buddy of mine, and while he's setting lines I'm usually stuck steering the boat. This would make fishing a lot more enjoyable, and probably more productive since I'll be able to help set lines too instead of steering the boat.:(

I probably install more of this model than any other

we usally use the 2.1L pump

I love the zig zag feature for trolling

the hot setting for my boat is 30' every 6 seconds

it steers the boat better than I could ever in rough water or a high speed run out to the spot

And most importantly when trolling

this unit on my boat makes the steering wheel pretty much obsolete for much other than docking

you will most certainly love this set up !!

2009calumetmarineopen027.jpg

2009calumetmarineopen024shrunk.jpg