Well Turkey day is behind us I already have Silver Horde returning as a sponsor. So it is time to get plans together for next season. I have a tentative schedule for everyone to consider and we have to plan a board meeting to go over everything. I personally don't think we need any rule changes but I am always open to suggestions. I would like to see more boats in the port championship race this year so we may need to modify that. I am also wondering if we need to set boundaries to keep it more of a local event and tighten the competition. I am thinking Holland as a south boundary and Pentwater as a north boundary. Here is what I penciled in for a schedule for next season.

May 3rd Blood Run Open

May 24th Silver Streak Open

June 14th Big Papa Open

June 28th Fish Hawk Open

July 12th Pro Troll Open

July26th Big Weenie Contest

Aug 9th Silver Horde Open

Aug 23rd Church Tackle Open

You may notice I stuck a extra date in there for June it was just a thought and would give everyone another weekend to fish LOL. It also gives us nore room for any make up dates if we have bad weather but I have been pretty lucky at picking good fishing days so far. Not always able to get the fish to show up but at least we have had good weather. Most of us fish every weekend anyhow so might as well have a contest so we can show off our fish or laugh at each other for our failures LOL. As always we are welcome to new ideas please feel free to make suggestions.

First off this is only a suggestion topic Don has also mentioned going back to 10 points a fish period and I also agree with that since the reason we changed points to begin with was to have a way to do a multi-port championship with the WMFL This has not worked out so we will likely return to our old point system. This is not a announcement of changes but a discussion of ideas to improve the tourney. Any or all of the dates listed can be changed it was just a starting point for discussion based off our past dates. We have not set a date for our meeting for next years tourney yet but perhaps we will have it sorted out by the end of Jan. I don't make the rules I make suggestions or in some case such as the boundary idea I pass them on I am not in favor of having a boundary as far as i am concerned as long as you leave Muskegon in your boat and return in your boat on time I am fine with things. If you want to burn the gas go for it if you want to have a jet pick up you and your boat and fly you to wherever I really don't care. Well that might be extreme LOL. The point of this is it is winter and we need something to talk about and a way to hear what you guys think and want. I want to see 20 to 40 boats in every tourney with guys having fun.

• 4 weeks later...

The big Muskegon tourney is the weekend of July 12th. Can you move that tournament to the 17th? How about a September weekend? One that works around the big fish tourney out of GH and Labor Day weekend? I'd rather jack tunas off the clipper in September than drag for greasers on the bottom off of Saugatuck in June. July 5th would be good for pre-fishing the Muskegon tourney, although Lula will have to go it alone as I'll be deck-loading 'eyes on the Bay that weekend. If you go to 8 tourneys, consider keeping only 5 for the port championship, instead of 6 or more.

We will consider all of that I made a date list without talking to Don because one of our sponsors wanted a tentative list so I made one on the fly and let them know it was still subject to change. After that I decide to post it and get input not one date on the list is a decided thing it was just a idea list. Clearly we will not fish on the 12th we have to figure out what will work I also do not have a clue if we will got to 8 events The only reason was having 8 primary sponsors this year I ran out of named events for them so i tossed another one in the mix My Bad. Again just me tossing out ideas. The port championship will remain at 5 extra event or not.

We got together this evening and roughed in most of the details. Still have to get it all written down and the wording finalized but the rough outline is this.

We will not make any changes on the boundary issue leave on time and be at weigh in on time how much gas you use to fish does not matter to us.

We will be going back to our old point system which is 10 points per fish plus weight. It will still be 3 man DNR limit and weigh 6 fish.

We have a sponsor for big fish for each event plus the pooled cash there is also a sponsor for biggest fish of the year but no cash prize to go with it.

We are sticking with 7 events and best 5 for the Port championship. The port championship has it's own points system which is similar to the 333 series. 100 points per event for 1st place and minus 2 for each place below that. Here is a example 10 boats and 3 catch nothing.

1st 100 points

2nd 98 points

3rd 96 points

4th 94 points

5th 92 points

6th 90 points

7th 88 points

8th 86 points

9th 86 points

10th 86 points

I don't see us every getting 50 boats but if we do Don and I will come up with a cutoff so every one gets points. No one will be skunked out of a chance at the championship. It will pay the first 3 places and ties will split the money.

We are raising the per event entry fee to 40 dollars 10 will go to the Port Championship 5 will go to big fish and the 25 left will go to event payout same as last year.

With the Dream weaver and the Muskegon Tri Port we were left with only the 19th of July so we will have 2 in May 2 in June 1 in July and 2 in August.

Don may correct me but I have this schedule.

May 3rd Blood Run Open

May 25th Silver Streak Open

June 14th Big Papa Open

June 28th Fish Hawk Open

July 19th Big Weenie Contest

August 9th Silver Horde Open

August 23rd ? I forgot LOL sry I think Pro Troll but Don can correct me.

Here is what last years Port Championship would look like under the new system.

1st Drift $340.00

2nd Double D $204.00

3rd Fishsniffer $136.00

4th 7Mary3

5th Kingfish

6th Hook Em Deep

6th Five O

8th High Seas

9th Sink or Swim

10th Double J

11th Reel Broke

12th Fine Line

13th Fortunate Son

14th Dominator

15th 1 Mainiac

We also had several boats that only fished one or 2 events so I did not score them. My score is based on last place in the events I entered even though I did not weigh a fish last year due to boat problems.

I did the math on a couple other scoring ideas and the results did not change from last year. Just the points separating each place changed and a couple of boats moved up and down but the first 4 did not move. Drift won 4 of the 6 events we fished last year and took a 2nd in another that is nearly a perfect score hard to beat that.

Ok Don liked the new forms so here we go the new rules and entry form are on the MSCST website. The dates are set we moved for the Dream weaver and the Muskegon Tourney so we only have 1 July event on the 19th. Because Don and I got sick of booting spammers if you don't have a log in you need to get Don or me to give you one. You do not need to log in to access the forms or read the front page only to post. The site is alos available on Tapatalk so you can use your phone as well. If you would like access to the site PM Don or me and we will send you a temp log in that you can change once your on. If you want a specific name let us know but we do need a email address.

• 2 months later...

Don and I have not spent much time discussing the tie issue I doubt we will have one but I plan on keeping a strength of field number that we could use if need be. Similar to the 333 scoring we could consider adding points based on entries. 15 boats add 1.5 points the that event score 12 boats add 1.2 to that score ect.. The reason I did not put it in the scoring is we pretty much have the same number of boats at every event not always the same boats but unless we get some new members it won't change much. Don and I are hoping the second chance drawing helps us bring in more boats. 20 boats per event would make a much better prize payout 30 would be even better. 7 events 30 boats per event would make the Port Championship $1050 for 1st $630 for 2nd and $ 420 for 3rd plus each event would pay 150 for big fish 300 for 1st 225 for second 150 for 3rd and 75 for 4th plus the second chance at 100 bucks. So if we can get to 30 boats we are no longer just fishing for gas and beer money. Frankly there are between 50 and 100 boats that fish out of Muskegon every decent weekend all summer long we just need to get more of them interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Entry form and rules are on the website www.mscst.com feel free to ask any questions Don or I will do our best to answer them. We start at 6 am from the pier head in Muskegon fish 3 man DNR rules and must be at weigh in by 1pm. Weigh in is at the Grand Trunk Boat launch you can pay and sign up at the weigh in. It is a 10 dollar membership per captain to join the group each event is 40 dollars. We have great sponsors and lots of stuff to give away at nearly every event. 10 points per legal fish plus weight cash prize for biggest fish 100 dollar second chance drawing for any boat that does not place. Open radio lots of fun with some serious fishermen.