New boat?

AllenW

The last few years I have been fishing Trout and Salmon in Superior with a 185 Alumacraft Tournament Sport, while a nice boat imho it seems a bit small for the great lakes.

I drove to Chicago and looked at a 22 foot Sea Runner and decided that was to big, plus it won't fit in my driveway. :)

I am now looking at a Weldcraft 202 Rebel, unfortunately there isn't a dealer near Mpls either, and it was suggested I look at the Thunderjet Luxor Offshore boats also, another one with no dealer close.

Perchance does anybody have or have been in either of these boats?

I am trying to fish both the great lakes for trout and such and still fish for walleyes, crappies, etc in the smaller lakes of MN/Wisc.

I can see a Rebel at the Milwaukee sports show in January but would like some personal opinions if possible.

TIA

Al

Decisions, decisions! WOW both of those rigs look really sweet! No matter what, i think you're gonna be a happy fisherman!

Ya I hope so, wife says I only get one retirement boat upgrade so to make it count..:)

Rebel seems to be the choice so far, but I haven't seen one yet and I would like to add a bow mount Terrova to it, hoping there's room for a pedestal and me up front.

Hard to decide on a boat you can't see easily. :D

Al

Hewscraft is another similar style boat. Great Lakes dealers include Calumet Marine (south shore of Lake Michigan and a site sponsor) and a place in International Falls. Everyone that I know of that has bought one from Frank at Calumet is extremely happy.

Alumaweld and Woodrigde boats are also the heavy duty welded aluminum hull designs from the Pacific Northwest.

Hewscraft is another similar style boat. Great Lakes dealers include Calumet Marine (south shore of Lake Michigan and a site sponsor) and a place in International Falls. Everyone that I know of that has bought one from Frank at Calumet is extremely happy.

Alumaweld and Woodrigde boats are also the heavy duty welded aluminum hull designs from the Pacific Northwest.

Looked at the Sea Runner at Franks, and he was great to deal with, unfortunately the SR is to big and looking at smaller Hewescraft boats now also.

Hard to judge without seeing them though. :)

Al

Looked at the Sea Runner at Franks, and he was great to deal with, unfortunately the SR is to big and looking at smaller Hewescraft boats now also.

Hard to judge without seeing them though. :)

Al

Hi Al

Frank Here

We had a sportsman in the yard when you where here wish I would have known the sea runners where too big

we sell a lot of 18sportsmans people just can not believe they are only 18' boats

guys love them for both small lakes and rivers and on nice days big water

a 18 with a 75 or 90 Honda really keeps the price way down as well

Happy shopping Al

Frank calumet marine

HAMMONDSHOW20131.jpg

Hi Al

Frank Here

We had a sportsman in the yard when you where here wish I would have known the sea runners where too big

we sell a lot of 18sportsmans people just can not believe they are only 18' boats

guys love them for both small lakes and rivers and on nice days big water

a 18 with a 75 or 90 Honda really keeps the price way down as well

Happy shopping Al

Frank calumet marine

HAMMONDSHOW20131.jpg

I wish that too, but sometimes you have to take what information you have and think it over, and that's what happened with the sea runner, damn nice boat though.

I will look at the sportsman, thanks

I think I like the ProV better as it has the extended transom, access and room in the bow is a concern though, the sea runner was pretty poor for access with that lip.

I was paying so much attention to the sea runner I don't remember much about the Pro you had in the shop. :(

You know if there will be one at the Milwaukee sports show in January?

Haven't given up on ya Frank, just have to find the right boat. :)

Al

Still looking at either the Hewescraft 20' ProV or the 20' Weldcraft 202 Rebel.

Hoping to see either soon and that will help but if you own or fished in either I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have, also maybe options you had to have or found you didn't need.

TIA

Al

The Hewes craft proV has been around for a while but the extended transom version is new for 2013

The hard top just came out in 2012

there is quite a few hard tops around to look at but not many extended transoms yet

I had one on order but had to switch the production slot out for a different model I had sold that was not on order

I highly recommend a 150 or lighter motor on this boat any thing bigger get the trim tabs

all aluminum boats with 4 stroke motors could use trim tabs but with the bigger motors or added weight of kickers aft begs for trim tabs no matter what brand boat it might be

I know Al is performance orientated most people would not ever notice the difference

A calumet marine we know small changes can make big differences in results

RIP

my old buddy COHO Harry He is greatly missed fishing buddy (last picture)

check out a couple cool shot performance you tube videos of ours

IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/hondacat522/fishing2010/dadsolderpictures1289.jpg

dadsolderpictures884.jpg

dadsolderpictures838.jpg

The Hewes craft proV has been around for a while but the extended transom version is new for 2013

The hard top just came out in 2012

there is quite a few hard tops around to look at but not many extended transoms yet

I had one on order but had to switch the production slot out for a different model I had sold that was not on order

I highly recommend a 150 or lighter motor on this boat any thing bigger get the trim tabs

all aluminum boats with 4 stroke motors could use trim tabs but with the bigger motors or added weight of kickers aft begs for trim tabs no matter what brand boat it might be

I know Al is performance orientated most people would not ever notice the difference

A calumet marine we know small changes can make big differences in results

RIP

my old buddy COHO Harry He is greatly missed fishing buddy (last picture)

check out a couple cool shot performance you tube videos of ours

IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/hondacat522/fishing2010/dadsolderpictures1289.jpg

dadsolderpictures884.jpg

dadsolderpictures838.jpg

I would go with the tabs anyway, they have worked well on my 185 Alumacraft Tourney Sport.

But there isn't hardly any difference in weight between the Yamaha in line 4 150 and 200 Hp motors, the V-6 is a bit heavier though.

Thanks Frank.

Boat looks like fun :)

Al