Trailer or Slip your boat?

IRon

What's everybody's preference?

1. I prefer the convenience of seasonal slips for my boat.

2. I like the versatility of trailering to different ports.

3. I do both. Sometimes I get weekly/daily slips.

Ron,

Try your thread again and check the box below where you type the information to add a poll. Select the number of answers, click submit. On the next page, ask your question again, and put in the answers available.

Thanks Mike I realize what I did wrong. No big deal, just a more informal poll I guess.

I've trailered for years,too. Has its advantages and draw backs. I'm kind of in between right now, rent for a few days at a time or just launch and fish. Sure is nice with a slip. Plus I've had a few trips disrupted by trailer failure. Not fun.

Good point on the storage/launch option. If I had a bigger boat I could see that in my future.

I think next year is going to be a seasonal rental for us. Now I just have to decide where? Somewhere between Saugatuck and Ludington I think.

I would love to SLIP my boat, however due to the infrequent opportunity to fish, it's not money well spent, although it would be extremely convenient. What I have been in the habit of doing for the past several years is seeking out a facility that I am comfortable enough with to keep my boat, on it's trailer @ the facility.

So when I'm fishing the bay, I hook up to the trailer and I'm ready to dip'r in the water after 1/2 hour of rigging or so. I have also done this up near Frankfort for salmon. It keeps the constant wear and tear of trailering down a little more, and saves me a few bucks on the transit. This year I pulled the boat to Au Gres early in the summer, and just recently pulled it back home. And in between that I just zip up, hook up and go fish.

I slipped my cuddy for a few years in Ludington and drove up from Lansing. Moved it to St. Joe and slipped it for two years there before buying the SeaCat. Biggest things I didn't like about slipping was the bottom growth (even with anti fouling paint), the commitment to a single port, and the extra cost of fuel.

When I got the SeaCat I also got a boat lift to keep the hull clean -- didn't want to put bottom paint on it.

Now that I am back near Lansing the boat went on the trailer. I like the mobility of trailering but it costs more in fuel to tow it to/from the lake than it does to go fishing all weekend. I'm considering trying to find a place to do in/out off the trailer and move it seasonally to cut down on the tow vehicle costs. The biggest problem with that is then transporting the tackle rather than leaving it on the boat since it is a center console with little locked storage.

I would be tempted to do use an in/out service but have not found one that can handle a catamaran hull.

So my answer is 3 as sometimes I do put it in a slip for a few days.

Although I mostly fish one port I prefer to trailer my rig. I'm within 10 miles of the port and my rig gets put in the garage most every night. I like the security and it's accessibility if I need to do something to it. Fueling is another plus. I have the launch thing right down pat and it only takes a few minutes longer than if it was slipped.

Seasonal slip, beats waiting in lines at the ramp.

As far as bottom growth, paint it with an anti fouling bottom paint and use fiberglass hull cleaner from BioKleen when it comes out.

Once sprayed off it looks just like it did when it was puit in.

• 2 weeks later...

when i take the boat over to erie we slip it. The whole season rate where i am at is only 450 for the season. when i am back here i trailer i would like to slip but the cost is a little high for me and the marinas dont offer a month deal. It is whole season or the same rate per night for a month at yact basin or eldeans. I like to fish monroe for may and june so i would be paying for almost half a season that i wouldnt use the dock.

• 1 month later...

Slip Trailered for a few years, but still like my slip. Fish cleaning station, showers, swimming pool shore power. Never have to wait in line to get the boat in. Fenced in patrolled area.( no theft or vandalism). Short run to the lake and always have an idea of where to go. If I want to run to another port I can do that too. It costs less than trailering an 11000lb 12 foot wide boat.

• 1 month later...