electric Mast

I just bought a new rig for next season. The boat has no mast system so I am building one using two Walker electric downriggers as the retrieve motors. Question I have is what amp switch will I need to have for these downrigger motors?

30 amp reverse polarity switches are what you need. also 30 amp inline fuses. I drilled two holes in my dash and added these switches: http://www.amazon.com/Position-Reverse-Polarity-Control--Maintained/dp/B001PNHBW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380594922&sr=1-1&keywords=30+Amp+Toggle+Switch+3+Position+Polarity+Reversing+DC+Motor+Control+on+off+on

I called gama and orderd through them and not amazon and I had them in a couple days and it was cheaper than ordering from amazon: http://www.gamainc.com/

here is what I built using the walker motors:

planer_reels_009.jpg

planer_reels_003.jpg

planer_reels_001.jpg

planer_reels_008.jpg

planer_reels_007.jpg

planer_reels_006.jpg

I now have a couple seasons on them and love the system.

Aaron, your pics and information have been very helpful! I have already ordered the switches. I never thought about removing the motor covers and mounting just the motors. I had planned on mounting the whole downrigger minus the boom. I like the way yours turned out, I'm going to try something similar. Thanks again, Nick

No prob! Mine started out as wishing for the big jon motors and not liking the price of 500 + bucks for just the motors. I had the walker motors on the shelf from a downrigger upgrade and ordered the wheels and switches just to try it out. figured if I put fifty bucks in it and it didn't work I wasn't out much. I had the mast from the previous year that I paid like 75 bucks for it and was using manual big jon reels. I have about 125 invested into the whole deal. I now have two seasons on them and they have been out in all kinds of weather and going strong. No problem with the motors being out in the elements. I used two wire plugs like used for trailer wiring so I can remove the mast they were like 2 bucks a set at tractor supply. I use mine quite a bit in may and june walleye fishing and have thought about ordering a spare motor just in case one does go out.

• 5 months later...

Well After soon time thinking and planning I came up with an idea for my mast system. This is what I built. Made of all stainless steel. Have not got them wired yet, will post more pics when I'm done. Thanks for the ideas!!

post-5174-14498787805731_thumb.jpg

post-5174-14498787805838_thumb.jpg

post-5174-14498787805947_thumb.jpg