Thought with the reduced crowds we would have no issues in the channel. However, some people a bout half way down the channel fired repeated casts over my stern even when I was scraping the rocks on the south side to give them room. "We OK". BS we're ok, you know what you're doing.

So we fished out front, caught two sheep and then right at dark pulled two kings, an 8# on a spinny down ten and a 4# on a two color mag moonshine off a board, the only short core I had left after we ok man cast his eighty pound braid over all the others and broke me off.

Glorious night out there. Sad to think how few chances are left to enjoy it.

Thanks for the report - yes it is depressing how the year is wrapping up. I have been on a dry-spell here and not gone much in the last week. Kids and I did go Sunday night for about 90 minutes. Netted one big one on an orange board high-line J plug just out in front of big red inside the arms when setting up lines. It was like fighting a small mouth bass - the thing buried the orange board and went all the way under the jon boat with all the current ripping through there - somehow we still got em. Missed another on the rigger outside the channel in 25 foot while passing from the dirty water to clean.

Then left the west side and went out to the east side of the lake and setup and trolled the shipping channel and in front of Crescent Marina there (where we have been catching a few kings casting from the shore) and ran 6 orange boards with hotntots and huskie jerks. Didn't get a bump. Did that for only 45 min with the 3 year old on board it wasn't going to last much longer.

That is what I know... Someone else finds a pod of em inside of mac that can be trolled over then please let us know!

I've been reading all these combat reports and getting great entertainment from them (thanks guys). Back when I had a life, we used to troll Pere Marquette lake in late August on blow days and it was challenging to say the least. 100+ boats circling the lake and a few brave souls entering the channel. I wouldn't do it unless backed into a corner by my fishing buds who just had to go!

I'd cut my slide divers off with 50# braid on them and replace with 24 0z handline weights from the Detroit river hung clothes pin style with Church clips onto my line and run maybe a 10-20 foot lead on both those in my dipsey rod holders. Run 2 riggers near bottom with same lead length leads and 30# test.

We'd troll for hours and never have an issue, except for the time other boats tried to run us into the numerous pilings around the lake. If that happened we'd reel up, and it would only take a few seconds, and play bumper boats until the other boat either backed off or we'd shake hands and come out swinging.

Never lost gear to anything except a possible tangle with a rampaging salmon and other lines, but kept that to a minimum with heavy gear. I can't imagine running boards and cores. I guess port to port is different and I'm not trying to be judgmental, but you must know the risks involved so...... enjoy yourselves. Tha's why we're all out there!!!!!!!