How to siphon gas

Ok, I'm doing some repairs to the DOG that require me to remove the fuel tank , the problem is, it has about 40 gal of gas in it.

My question is what would be the best way to remove the fuel. I've read other places that its very hard to use a siphon hose becouse of the angle and distance , others say that the drill pumps arnt safe, just need a good idea. Or we're to get a safe and good pump.

I'm not suggesting you should do this cus people may think its dangerous. But if I needed to pull the tank anyway. I would put a bucket under the drain plug of the boat and run a hose thru the drain that will fit over the fuel line that goes from the tank to the carb. Pull the line and put it inside the hose you run thru the bilge drain and let it gravity feed out into a container

Disconnect the line that goes from the tank to the motor. I was able to feed it out through the drain plug of the boat and use it to siphon the tank. The pickup goes to the lowest point of the back of the tank anyway. I was able to get almost alll of the gas out of a tank that had split a weld while fishing. Had to empty the tank before I could go to bed that night as it was running out he drain already and I did not want it running down to the raod and into the catch basins.

this isn't the cheapest way but you can go to auto zone and get there cheapest universal fuel pump they have. then just get some extra rubber gas line and hook the pump to your gas line and pump it out. the times I have had to pump gas out of cars to change the fuel pump. and someone put sugar in my boat tank once and I pumped it out. but use 2 long wires and place the battery away from where your working and wire a toggle switch in your wire, then you can turn it off and on as needed. if you have metal gas lines you can just use a piece of rubber gas line on the pump and go down your fill spout. or you can use a small pipe cutter and cut the metal line then splice it back together with a piece of the rubber gas line. this is just an opinion and not the only way to get the job done.

sherman