building downrigger board

boat has a straight 6.5 ft board that fits into clamps on end so cuts length to 6 ft, 2 short has 4 downriggers which is what i want but middle to want 2 tangle. what im thinking is getting the board out 2 edges (7.5 ft} then coming back edges 4 ft both sides. ill either have to remove rail on back or come up 8 inches 2 do it. questions do i remove rail or raise board. whats the best material to use (cedar,oak,green treated, aluminum)wood seems cheapest and i think will look good but whats best way to join corners(i keep thinking of all the pressure on them. also pedestals, thinking 3 on back and 1 per side, thinking 4x4 block of wood with several coats of poly (bad idea or will it be o.k.) any thoughts will be appreciated p.s. for those who steer me towards aluminum whats ball park cost. thanks in advance

210 bucks for a 10ft piece of 2x6 alum tube 1/4 wall and a 16in piece of 1/4 x 2in flat bar will give you the width you want and enough to cut the risers from it. 30 min with the welder and your done. will look good for years I used the stuff to build risers on my old boat and used a 2x8 for a top board was cheaper but did not look as good.

back many yrs ago I mounted wood. I just used treated wood and painted it but I think an oak board painted would actually last longer. I just mounted my board to the rails with u bolts, this worked good for me as I used my boat for playing in the water a lot. and could remove the board very easy when we went to play in the water. but the aluminum sounds pretty good that 1 mainiac mentioned for a more permanent installation.

sherman

You might also look at Brazilian Redwood, Ipe, or similar hard, oily tropical wood. Easy to do yourself and will last a LONG time. Looks nice too if you choose to keep it finished (Penofin Marine) but it's not necessary.