First Season (Fall Fishing)

This is our first season out and we haven't had much luck yet. We've been running out of Port Sheldon mostly fishing in 90-125 FOW with riggers and dipsys. Just wondering what you guys change up as we head past september and into the fall. I'm very new and any advice helps; I chase them in the rivers but on the big lake my experience is almost nothing.

Until season closes Lakers will be on the bottom in 80' give or take. Come mid October until ice up trout of all kinds can be had from the beach out to 30' it so. 12/15/12 last year we were 3/4 around the bubbler with a laker and three steel.

Never had a lot of luck with immature kings out deep this time of year but have found steel from 180-370' (yep, 1/2 hour out at full throttle), if you find them they seem to be in tight little groups. Can't troll too fast for them, we run 3-4 mph on the GPS.

You might want to move north to Muskegon much easier run to deep water for Steel and young kings. And some deep drops and holes for structure. I have had dozens of 3 and 4 man limits on Steel out deep over the years. Often running out setting up and catching fish so fast the guys were complaining about not being able to drink their beer.

Fall fishing can be phenomenal . Search around here and you will find some great info on fall big water fishing. Steelies, coho & kings.....on the right days you can barely keep up with the action. Short cores, coppers, dipsys, and riggers will all get the job done.:thumb: one of the best parts of fall fishing is that there is virtually no traffic. I remember 2 years ago running 21 miles offshore to the surface temp break to get the fish. Water temp was huge in deciding where to fish. Good luck....keep us posted on your efforts, we love to hear about it

October/November fishing has been the best fishing ever for me over the years. What can be challenging is that 8-12 lb kings bite 90 down in 200 FOW with a slowwwww presentation. The Steelhead want a fast speed in the top 20 FOW. Cold water; very tasty fish. I am usually the only boat out there. Steels tend to be in 300+ FOW. If the weather is nice it can be the best trip you ever had.

Thanks for the helpful responses guys. We went out this past sunday out of port sheldon and were 2/2 in 120 feet of water south of P.S. The fish were only 2-5 lbs but it was fun to be out anyways. The first one bit a black and white j-plug on a rigger 60 feet down and 50 feet back from the ball. As we were netting it the other fish hit a moonshine spoon (forget what pattern exactly) 80 feet down and 30 feet back. Overall good day on the water and we can't wait to try out your advice.