Family trip to my sister's place in Onekama for the extended weekend. Made sure we had one trip planned for salmon on the big lake. Saturday was the morning. Slight north wind, greeted by 1-3' seas from the north. Went straight out to 100' of water and deployed the spread. It didn't take long and we were taking hits. Big white paddle/river side fly parked at 92' down on the rigger was the stand out of the morning taking multiple hits. We worked 120-150fow doing tight loops near the waypoints we marked as we were taking hits. Had 2 doubles and almost a triple. As the morning bite tapered off the wire mag diver back 185 with a meat rig started taking hits, as BillP mentioned, multiple fish came unbuttoned on the divers. Ended the morning about 1145 with 7 fish in the box and losing another 7 fish. Big king was 22#, and the coho were beautiful. All fish had good amounts of bait in their bellies.

onekama8-31-1_thumb.jpg

onekama8-31-2_thumb.jpg

Very nice - great action and some good clean family fun.

Indeed. I don't have much time, and I don't have the opportunity to fish with my brother in law often, we used to fish together frequently. It sure was nice getting back on board with a crew that works well together.

After fishing we were coming through the channel in Onekama, and on the Portage Lake side of the channel, on the north side of the channel was a nice sand bar. We cleaned fish, ate lunch and loaded up us four adults and the 6 kids and headed to the sandbar for some fun in the water. We were all by ourselves, Sunday we went back to the sand bar, and there was a handful of other boats like us taking advantage of the great weather :thumb:

That sandbar just appeared earlier this year. It's a nice little spot. Some boats have found it the hard way. One of these times I will run into you when your up this way. Nice job on the fish. Sounds like you and I are likely fishing very close the same waypoints.

Chris

Chris,

We didn't venture far from where we were picking up fish. South troll seemed to produce more bites. As soon as we would get "get out of the fish" I insisted to turn right around and go back through them, it seemed to work. At about 930ish, the bite slowly died, but that's when our meat on the dipsy started taking fish. Good day to be on the water, and the action was just what I was looking for.

Chris,

We didn't venture far from where we were picking up fish. South troll seemed to produce more bites. As soon as we would get "get out of the fish" I insisted to turn right around and go back through them, it seemed to work. At about 930ish, the bite slowly died, but that's when our meat on the dipsy started taking fish. Good day to be on the water, and the action was just what I was looking for.

The fish here are in tight little pods it seems. Nice job sir!

Chris

The fish here are in tight little pods it seems. Nice job sir!

Chris

We ventured out to 250fow and witnessed fish boiling on the surface, probably steelies and cohos, we were to able to trigger a bite. Thought for sure our 2 color with bumble bee would take a rip