The Wisconsin DNR

I was stopped by the DNR last year and they waited for us to finish and were waiting for us by the truck. Their assumption should be that we have all our licenses. I personally believe that the DNR guys have way to much power. They can skirt constitution in ways no other law enforcement officer can.

Reminds me of one of my favorate DNR jokes:

Joe and Bob are out fishing, its a great day for fishing and the fish are biting as fast as you can get you hook in the water. After a few hours of keeping every big fish they get they decide to head in for the day. After loading up their boat a dnr officer asks to check their licenses. Their licenses were valid. Then he asks to check the livewell. Upon looking in the livewell, the officer comes back and says "you guys are 10 fish over your limit, so I am going to have to write you a ticket" Being that it was Joe's truck and boat, he immediately perked up and said "no no no, we are not over our limit, I would never keep more than my limit. These are my pet fish and I take them down to the lake everyday to get some exercise. I let them go I whistle and they come back to me" So the CO says "alright but you are going to have to prove it to me" Then, Joe goes on to take out 10 fish and put them back in the lake. Then the CO says "ok now whistle and bring all those fish back." Then Joe after a little giggle and smirk says "what fish?"

We have similar problems right here in Michigan too Adam. I think it depends on each officer's perspective, and whether they too fish or hunt themselves. Respect is not their forte most of the time, it's writing tickets, tickets, and more tickets for some officers. We need more involved and respectful officers, and that's becoming more hard to find year after year. I think DNR officers should have to be hired based on their own sports affiliated relationships with each of the sports they are patrolling, thus making better judgements, and having more in common with his fellow sportsman. This would smooth out things a lot better imho, and make everyone more happy with the issues.

I'm glad to see the CO's out checking people honestly most I've met are professional and try to move on as quick as possible.If they had to wait tilll everyone is done with thier hunting or fishing why bother to have CO's in the field ? Just IMO

I agree they are needed, but.... The ones I have dealt with have all been rude, they are more about citation over education. There have 5 million laws governing waterfowl. To me the term transport would mean before you take the bird from the field home, to him it meant before I took it out of the water and toss over in the bushes....

I think the DNR should have to follow all the standards that every LEO must. I am a police officer and I have all my licenses for hunting and a rule book in my blind bag. I follow the laws. Now while I am on patrol I cannot pull you over just to see if you have a drivers license, there must be an infraction which leads to the contact first. I believe the DNR should follow the same guidelines.

I had a run in where I was in the wrong and I could have gotten a $350 ticket for my mistake. The C.O. chewed me out & then told me to go home for the day. I was very embarrassed that I missed the rule I violated & was very happy for the getting only the chewing.

There are quite a few people who fish without a license. I'm all about them checking for it. If they had more officers and did more checks license sales would definitely go up.

My interaction with MI CO's has always been good. Here's a good one from years back. It was opening day of duck season. About 8AM here comes the CO in a kayak paddling across the lake. He checks one blind, they pack up and go home. He goes to the next blind, they pack up and go home. Goes to the third blind, they pack up and go home. Then he comes to us, checks us out, we're all good licenses, plugs in the guns, all steel shot. We asked him what happened in the other blinds. They all got tickets for no licenses. no plugs in guns, lead shot etc. Then he tells us he has to write us a ticket. What for we ask? He says he was there in the dark watching us all come on the lake and we didn't have navigation lights on our14 foot boat. Never had navigation lights on my duck boats in all my life but he was right and we were wrong. It's the law. He was writing the ticket and here comes a lone goose. We're all standing up in the blind, camo down, the CO in the kayak wide open and this lone goose is coming in on a string. I can't believe it, he is locked up and coming in. We ask if we can shoot him and he says go right ahead. The bird drops right in and we let our 14 year old hunter shoot first and he gets him and the bird splashes right by us and the CO's kayak. We took our ticket and got our lights. The best thing about it is the other three sets of hunters never came back to the lake and we've had it all to ourselves for many years since then. A few years later, he came on the lake again and we were the only ones there. He came out and checked us. Of course this time we had our lights and everything else was good. He says where's everyone else at. We proceeded to thank him for booting everybody off the lake a few years back!

My interaction with MI CO's has always been good. Here's a good one from years back. It was opening day of duck season. About 8AM here comes the CO in a kayak paddling across the lake. He checks one blind, they pack up and go home. He goes to the next blind, they pack up and go home. Goes to the third blind, they pack up and go home. Then he comes to us, checks us out, we're all good licenses, plugs in the guns, all steel shot. We asked him what happened in the other blinds. They all got tickets for no licenses. no plugs in guns, lead shot etc. Then he tells us he has to write us a ticket. What for we ask? He says he was there in the dark watching us all come on the lake and we didn't have navigation lights on our14 foot boat. Never had navigation lights on my duck boats in all my life but he was right and we were wrong. It's the law. He was writing the ticket and here comes a lone goose. We're all standing up in the blind, camo down, the CO in the kayak wide open and this lone goose is coming in on a string. I can't believe it, he is locked up and coming in. We ask if we can shoot him and he says go right ahead. The bird drops right in and we let our 14 year old hunter shoot first and he gets him and the bird splashes right by us and the CO's kayak. We took our ticket and got our lights. The best thing about it is the other three sets of hunters never came back to the lake and we've had it all to ourselves for many years since then. A few years later, he came on the lake again and we were the only ones there. He came out and checked us. Of course this time we had our lights and everything else was good. He says where's everyone else at. We proceeded to thank him for booting everybody off the lake a few years back!

Great Story, thanks for sharing

Sounds like Michigan is different than Wisconsin, here the DNR should stand for Damn Near Russia...

I am bothered with Wisconsin DNR's stance of enforcement over education. I know two separate former wardens who related that they are pressured to always write citations. I have never received a citation from them, but why do we need to legislate stupidity... Seat belts, life vests..

I respect the need to catch poachers and protect the animal but that's not what our DNR does. I remember reading a Wisconsin Outdoor News and in the "cuffs and collars"

Section there was a blurb how a passing DNR agent saw a guy using a ATV to plow his business's parking lot and the ATV didn't have a license plate. The warden pulls over and bones the guy with a ticket.... What a joke

The DNR should learn how to count wolves and properly maintain the deer heard.

• 3 months later...