Bought copper set ups!!!

Boltman

Out of peer frustration, I bought two copper set ups and Churchs Planner boards. I'm tired of not catching fish, I know thats why they call it Fishing...

I'm tired of Dipseys getting tangled...and frankly I'm tired of NOT catching any fish, and I'm hoping to catch more with these copper set ups.

Understand I don't even try to think I'm on the level of skill MOST of you guys possess I am a Rookie....Don't know what we're doing wrong and I'm not sure we are doing anything wrong, because the shear number of fish are certainly down, or at least the reports are clearly down....either way we need some better equipment to get our spread out there and hoping copper can do it for us....

Please let me know how to use these boards, I was able to get some advice from an old pro at my Marina, he was 6 for 8 SAturday night, we got a hitch hiker snagged by a dipsy...go figure..

Any help would be considered awesome.

All of us could give you advise but as I have told many people take me or one of the other guys fishing so we can show you. Much faster learning curve and you will likely get fish for dinner. My boat is broke my gear is not I have all next weekend and would love to fish.

Congrats on getting the copper. It can really help you. Aside from this website one of the most helpful things for me was reading Dan Keating's first book "Keating on Kings." My advice if you get it is - don't run out and buy all the lures he recommends. Instead, get familiar with them and then gradually buy the ones that you read on this site that are more consistently working in your area.

And I'm going up to the U.P. with my Wife, and our 5th wheel camper, to Baraga where they won't hear us..... Know what I mean, I'm going to be so far from fishing, I won't even care....

My dad has a place on Huron Bay near Lanse. He has been catching salmon and lakers everytime he goes out :thumb:

LOL. I TRIED RUNNING COPPER THE FIRST TIME.

I nearly threw all 6 poles in the water. Tangle city.

Then I hitched a ride last summer with a guy that made it look easy.

Now I have no issues..

One thing that comes to mind. If I'm only running 2. They both go on the same side if there's other traffic. Easier boat control.

Also. What boards did u get. The vice clips made it easier for me and steel pins

Slow is fast fast is a sure tangle or birds nest when setting copper up Robert. Also set one side then wait for it to clear before setting another line close to it. Lots of times my short coppers are first thing out then the riggers then the divers then the long coppers. Long coppers need to be a long way from the boat if running divers down deep as the dive will walk out under it which is not a very pretty sweater to knit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK a little common sense here. First run your set ups in a V configuration deepest close in and shallowest farthest from the boat. I have a wide boat so the dipsey problem is kinda mute, I normally run 2 wire dipseys and 2 power pro dipseys, 4 riggers which are my deepest presentation, then my long coppers at least 75' out from the boat, the short coppers 50' outside that and my high long lines usually 10 color lead and a 5 or 6 color lead. Set your dipseys on 1.5 to 2 and follow the guidelines on the package for depth. My dipseys catch a lot of fish for me. Use all the tools at your disposal and don't fall in love with any of them it changes every day. If I could only have 2 presentations, it would be Downriggers and Dipsey's.

with the tx 22s the best advice i could give is no matter what lenght of copper you are running, set the weight on the bottom all the way to the front. This helps keep the front of the board in the water with all the weight of the copper line. I hated the copper at first but once you figure it out it really does catch fish. Good luck