Brad's cut plugs

I bought 4 of these thinking I might need to add some stink to my spread of lures. I couldn't quite break down and spend the $18 for a single Big Weenie meat rid (not yet at least). Anyone use these Brad's cut plugs? Seems I've seen them mentioned but I wanted some first hand input on using them, what kind of fish you put in them, how you rig them, and running them in the spread. Any info would be helpful. Heading to Pentwater for a 5 day weekend over Labor day and want to get into some fish any way it takes.

Used them yesterday behind spin doctors and every one took a fish! I actually put herring in them just like a meat rig. We started with tuna (in oil) in them and had nothing until I switched over to the herring then both dipsies went off at the same time less then 5 minutes after I switched to herring. One with our biggest king to date!

My Brother Fishes the Columbia Bar and the Pacific Ocean in Oregon a lot and he swears by the Brads Cut Plug. Use the Bead Chain Swivel and a single #1 treble hook for the presentation. The run a 6. leader off of a dipsy diver and load them with any oily type of fish they have available usually they use sardines packed in oil, fill the cavity with it and troll. They don't use downriggers on the coast as they are limited to 1 rod per fisherman and they have some serious limits. 1 King per day, and only 2 Silvers(coho) in possession. Barbless hooks too. But I got a couple of cutplugs and have only used them once. BTW I was on the West coast in July and they were catching a lot of mature 40# plus Kings.

We caught fish on leader lengths from 4 foot to 6 foot. The biggest king came on the shortest leader and the smallest king came on the longest leader. I would suggest using a bead chain snap swivel to attach to your spin doctor. Otherwise the line twists badly! Also the single hook presentation caught the biggest king. It was a long fight (20 minutes or so) and never once did it look like he would shake it!

Pulpfishin-you run them 4-6feet behind the spin doctor? If the spinnie already has a rotating swivel do you recommend still using the bead chain?

Thanks for the other responses guys!

I will be using them in pentwater this weekend and post how I do.

I'm on Brad's prostaff and have had great success using them for the last 4 yrs. I will post a link to something Capt Rich and I put together 3 yrs ago that will give you some information(http://www.fishmeister.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=206).

Currently 99% of the time I use Starkist Rosted Garlic Tuna in Oil. I don't have the time to go into why garlic but for me way better than just tuna in oil. The inventor continues to use garlic tuna on the Columbia River take numerous kings over #30.

I troll on the slow side with GPS SOG 2.2-2.4 (Depth Raider 1.8-2mph) with Brad's and think slow is better than fast. I run 42" leads and use them with dodger, dodgers and teasers, Inticer and Big Al Flashers with or without teasers on riggers and dipsys. On lead core and Copper run naked or with teasers and not often with flashers although experimenting with Big Al 8" as very little drag.

There a many colors that work for me and the hot one changes just like with spoons. Currently Spotted Cow(aka glow ghost with green dots) is my best and works under all light conditions. Early AM Happee Meal good because it's their only extended glow at this point. Other recent hot colors Blue Hawaiian, Shamrock, Seahawk, Lemon Lime, Lady Bug. Early summer was Bloody Nose, NBK, Purple Frog and Mt Doo.

I refresh my tuna when I can't smell it. I ALWAYS clean the lure and the sponge at the end of every outing.

I still run Flasher/fly, glow spoons and Js early AM. The tuna scented baits are not going to out produce other stuff when the bite is hot at first light. However once the bite slows the tuna often takes over.

Grey Beard

I just found that the line twisted badly if I didn't put another snap swivel on it. I ran one a couple weeks ago clean with no flasher and caught a nice king, also. But for whatever reason they were working well with spinnies Sunday.

Yes r-6 foot behind the spun doctor.

Also they worked best after the sun came up! Glow stuff before Sun was awesome!