Port Sheldon Day report August 24th

Went out in the morning before dark arous 5 and had a quick triple before the sun came up.. Landed 2 of them one being a small 5 pound king and another 19 pound king.. Big king came on a 200 copper with a lucky charms jplug and the small king on a full core with a green dolphin.. Had 4 more bumps right after the sun came up but that was it. Best depth was 110-140 FOW

After that we decided to get some perch but only came up with 20 or so of them.. Had to throw a lot of dinks back..

We headed back out around 6:30 for some more salmon... Started the night with a 23 pounder about a half hour after setting up.. It came on a blue meat rig with a spinnie.. A little later we hit a small 8 pound king on a diver 130 back with a uv green meat rig.. Right after sunset we hit a triple.. The first to come in was a big fat 12 pound coho that had the hooked jaw and looked ready to spawn. After that the diver 130 back with the uv meat rig got a 16 pound king.. The last to come in was a 22 pound king on a green froggy meat rig on the Downrigger 60 down.. We worked the 180-160 FOW all night.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Chandler where did you get the perch? by the bubbler?

No nobody really fishes the bubbler for perch because its full of sheephead and thats pretty much all you catch. When the perch start biting you usually go about a half mile south of Port Sheldon and theres tons of boats there and we usually get a bunch of big fat perch.

Yeah there would have to be a hole.

Yeah I don't really know for sure but that's what I hear a lot when I talk to people that I talk to. You'd have to come out with us sometime because it's a small spot that everyone fishes and we have a waypoint on it.

Small changes in bottom composition are huge. Same bit for spring browns, there's 50 miles of 5-10' I routinely patrol but it seems the waypoints are all piled on top of each other in certain spots. Some are gravel, and one's a bit of clay that riles up the water after a west wind is money.