Another SWR Rod (The Full Core)

Hello Members,

Just thought that Id tell you new fishermen or wekend warriors about this other weapond called the full core rod. This kind of weapon rod can be a real pain in the a:angry2: :angry2: somedays. I mean do you ever hear on your radio while you are out fishing about guys running over each other lead core out there. I kept hearing that seams like every time I go fishing out there and I told my self that Id never get that stuff because it just sounds like a pain in the a:angry2: :angry2: to run. Well last year I took the challange and got the crazy stuff and man does it work good. Lots of times that was the only stuff that I could catch my fish with. But if you do get it and happen to start running it, you must be on the defensive side of fishing out there at all times. Just because guys will go right behind your boat and they get pretty close to. I do not recomend you running this stuff at night though because you are taking a big chance on getting caught with another boat out there. The kind of rod I like to use is a 9 1/2' Daiwa dipsy rod with a CV45D Convector reel with a counter on it. My backing I use is called 30# spider wire stealth and then I tie on my 100 yards of Mason lead core with 60' of 20# test leader on it. What I do is let out all 60' of leader out, with the 100 yards of full core out, and then put out what ever you please with your spider wire then tie on your walleye board on it and let it go out more. You can use any size spoon and J-plugs with this rod. Last year the full core was really hot for me and helped me out at the weigh ins at lots of tournaments that I was in. Just remember to when you put this crazy stuff out make sure your drag is pretty lose, just enough that you can hear the drag clicking a little bitt. This crazy stuff really works good and will build your mussle alot to reeling in all that line. You sure will get tierd out fast when you have a hog on. Well if you happen to try this good luck and have a great time fishing this year.

Caznik

Caz,

You are starting to reel me in.:lol: I thought that you needed to use some roller guide rods for this stuff. I may just take one of my downrigger rods and set it up as a SWR with 2 colors of leadcore. The other 8 colors I may try on a Dipsy rod that I already have.

One thing that has been stated is cornfusing me.:lol: It has been said that the leadcore puts a different spin, wiggle or whatever on the lure. I just wonder why the long leader between the core and the lure? With flashers or dodgers the leads are very short in comparison. It seems that 60 ft. of leader would remove or greatly lessen the effect that the core puts on the lure. I'm just trying to fully understand the reason so that I can fine tune the presentation. In any kind of fishing it's PRESENTATION, more than any other factor. Leadcore is just a different presentation.

Caz and Levi have to be the best salesmen in this neck of the woods. A couple of days ago it was NO WAY:no: . Today I'm thinking maybe, at least the SWR set up. It will only cost me the price of the core, because I have extra downrigger, and dipsy rods. It's a good thing I'm building that new rocket launcher to hold all this stuff. LOL:grin:

Caz,

You are starting to reel me in.:lol: I thought that you needed to use some roller guide rods for this stuff. I may just take one of my downrigger rods and set it up as a SWR with 2 colors of leadcore. The other 8 colors I may try on a Dipsy rod that I already have.

One thing that has been stated is cornfusing me.:lol: It has been said that the leadcore puts a different spin, wiggle or whatever on the lure. I just wonder why the long leader between the core and the lure? With flashers or dodgers the leads are very short in comparison. It seems that 60 ft. of leader would remove or greatly lessen the effect that the core puts on the lure. I'm just trying to fully understand the reason so that I can fine tune the presentation. In any kind of fishing it's PRESENTATION, more than any other factor. Leadcore is just a different presentation.

Caz and Levi have to be the best salesmen in this neck of the woods. A couple of days ago it was NO WAY:no: . Today I'm thinking maybe, at least the SWR set up. It will only cost me the price of the core, because I have extra downrigger, and dipsy rods. It's a good thing I'm building that new rocket launcher to hold all this stuff. LOL:grin:

No you do not any roller guides on your fishing rod. But you should at least use a 9 1/2' rod because the little extra pull with the lead core. But when you run this SWR rod make darn sure it is your deepest rod down. Also do not run any flasher or J-plug next to it. For some reason when I do it gets to be a very bad tangle mess and I dont understand why that whould be because the core being out so far and the flashers up closer to the ball.

Good luck,

Rich

I think because of the long 60' leader is because just in case of a break off. If you have to retie after a fish breaking you off about 10' of your leader than you will still have 50' left. I think this is so you do not have to tie off your lead core again.

Rich

You will hear lots of different rod lengths to use. Myself, I have core on 8' and 8 1/2' rods. Some people even use 7' rods for core.

If you are planning on running lead core without down riggers, you will need to use some inline planer boards. These will get your leadcore off to the side of your boat, and out of the way. The last thing you want is your lead straight out the back of your boat and fighting a fish. You can run at least 3 lead core off each side of your boat with inline boards or big boards.

Put down 2 - 4 down riggers, 2 - 4 dipsey divers, along with 6 lead core, and you have quite the spread. ;)

One thing that has been stated is cornfusing me. It has been said that the leadcore puts a different spin, wiggle or whatever on the lure. I just wonder why the long leader between the core and the lure? With flashers or dodgers the leads are very short in comparison. It seems that 60 ft. of leader would remove or greatly lessen the effect that the core puts on the lure. I'm just trying to fully understand the reason so that I can fine tune the presentation. In any kind of fishing it's PRESENTATION, more than any other factor. Leadcore is just a different presentation.

Right on. The longer leader is only for the ease of retying without replacing leaders. I use a variety of set-ups with a variety of leader lengths on my lead core rods.

Now that's what I'm talkin about! I love a big spread.

ME TOO! We always run as many rods as we legally can depending on the targeted species, location, and fishability of the water. Just remember, sometimes less is more!

If you can defend it, set up a full core(10 color), a half core(5 color), and an SWR. It won't be long before you have an entire arsenal of lead core rods.

Has anyone ever tried a snap, or swivel snap, tied on the leadcore, or on a short leader attached to the leadcore? The leader could then be snapped on and changed as needed easily. I'm not sure if this would hurt the presentation. I just wanted to ask before trying something that may have failed for one of you.

It would have to be extremely small to reel through the guides on the rod and the levelwind on the reel. We do use tiny Spro swivels to connect our backing to our copper and our copper to our leader, but other than that we just tie knots for leadcore rigs.

Usually the shortest leader I will use on lead core is roughly 10'. The longest is 50' or so. I don't run shorter leaders on my copper rigs. I start them at 75' or so and when they get down to 30' or so it's time for a new leader.

You'd be surprized how adept at tying leaders to either you'll become with enough practice.

TYVM everyone for the tips. I think for starters all I'm going to need is the leadcore. I have 4 Offshore in-line PBs with the HD red releases. I also run Big boards when I have enough people on board to justify putting them out. Most of the time I fish with 2-3 people on board, and once in awhile 4.

Anyone wanting to fish Saginaw Bay this Summer for some walleye, let me know.

I made four 3 day trips to Manistee last year, and did fantastic.

We run 9 rods all the time you get the lead core away from the boat and your good. One thing we did later in the year was replace the center rigger with a mono dipsey. it makes it easier to land fish. we run 4 leadcores 2 wires and 2 riggers, with a dipsey down the chute. this year we are adding 2 copper rods

Ok guys, I have been reading alot of posts, and I have to ask;

What is/are "copper" rods?

I understand the wire, full lead core, and riggers and dipseys, jets etc...

Just don't know about the copper thing

Thanx in advance, Bill.