We got a late start this AM, setting lines around 7 in 65 FOW. Trolled SW picking up a 10# king on a white paddle/fly combo 55' down in 80 FOW. Saw the nets approaching so we swung around and headed north. Second fish hit a green flasher/fly 90 back on a mag dipsy in 100 FOW. After some nearly botched net work we boxed the second fish of the day, a 30.2# king. Yes, 30.2!:eek: A third fish hit a blue flasher/fly on a 8 color but never got a chance to make any progress on it. As soon as it hit, the leader broke. No stretched knots, etc. Broke clean off.

Marked lots of fish 60-70 down.

There's a good chance this one is wall bound. Lots more fishing over this next week so we'll see. ;)

I apologize. I shouldn't have mentioned such a fish without a decent pic. This is the best one I have on the boat. Too bad you can't see more of a straight on side profile. 41 1/4" long and 25" around!

8-22-13salmonfishing.jpg

You guys fishing out of Whitehall/Montague need to stop in at Johnson's and let them know about the good salmon fishing. There is a perception that the salmon fishing isn't doing very well out there. Based on Jim's report (and some others I have heard about) that's not quite true.

Jim, very nice report and wow what fish! Great picture!

Awesome Jim, what does wall bound mean? Anyways if your fishing this weekend look for us were going to start in 65FOW and troll NW see if that works you won't miss our boat

Wall bound as it fixin' to be mounted. Just Hook'n asked if it was headed for the wall. I'll be fishing out of Ludville this weekend, but back down south Labor Day weekend. I'm confident I've seen your boat out there in the past. Pretty hard to miss. ;)

You guys fishing out of Whitehall/Montague need to stop in at Johnson's and let them know about the good salmon fishing. There is a perception that the salmon fishing isn't doing very well out there. Based on Jim's report (and some others I have heard about) that's not quite true.

Jim, very nice report and wow what fish! Great picture!

Johnsons was our first stop after pulling out of the launch, and the source of our scale. Great people there with just about everything you could need. :thumb: Also see my last report from Montague/Whitehall. We took several in the 20's with the biggest at 24. There are definitely some big fish out in the lake this year.

Great Pic any way, very few of us have seen such a trophy! Thanks for helping your wheelchair bound friend to have such a great day on the water, I know its a lot of work, but it's so worth it. Getting out this weekend at Holland, good success to all.

It was definitely a memorable day for all, no matter what we caught.:friends:

Buying copper set up now what planner boards should I run???

We ran 4 boards in 2-3' waves on this day without any problems. If I had two more boards with me they would have been in the water as well. I run all Church Tackle Walleye Boards as do my fishing buddies. Off Shore Tackle also makes planer boards that are very similar. I have never used them though. They are reported to be good quality though.

This time of the year it's getting hard to run boards due to the amount of boat traffic, especially when the fish are right outside the pier heads. Fish outside of the pack or on a slower day (weekday) and you don't have any problems. You also need to take slower turns, so don't let the new guy drive the boat! ;)

I set my boards up so they don't release when a fish hits. I do this by running the line behind the pinch pad once, and through the pinch pad once as well. When fishing in some bigger waves like I did on this day, I went through the pinch pad twice to keep the line from pulling out.

Copper or lead on boards has done very well for me. :thumb: Armstrongs is a place everyone should visit at least once. While they do have everything and then some, it is also the source of many jokes.

This time of the year it's getting hard to run boards due to the amount of boat traffic, especially when the fish are right outside the pier heads. Fish outside of the pack or on a slower day (weekday) and you don't have any problems. You also need to take slower turns, so don't let the new guy drive the boat! ;)

I set my boards up so they don't release when a fish hits. I do this by running the line behind the pinch pad once, and through the pinch pad once as well. When fishing in some bigger waves like I did on this day, I went through the pinch pad twice to keep the line from pulling out.

Copper or lead on boards has done very well for me. :thumb: Armstrongs is a place everyone should visit at least once. While they do have everything and then some, it is also the source of many jokes.

Armstrongs has the best selection of stuff you have ever seen. Stuff is piled up and hard to find sometimes. Ask Don for help. He knows where everything is. No joke!