Rotten wood

As I had mentioned previously, the time has come to acquire a boat in the next couple years. One item I want to address up front before the search is too far under way is what is the best way to prevent buying a boat with rotten stringers, and transoms? I read alot about this. It would seem as most glass boats over 10 years old have some degree of rot in them? My price range will put me into a 20-30 year old boat, aluminum or glass, which greatly increases the risk of rotten wood. Is this kind of repair something to simply factor into the purchase price? Can a surveyor really uncover these potential issues?

Heck i've heard of 10 year old boats never slipped and garage kept which get rot.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Brian

Brian, My Tiara is 31 years old, and is as solid as the day it was manufactured.

Not all boats are prone to rot, and stringer damage.

Stay away from the Bayliner, and other manufactures that make boats for a price. If you are solely going to fish the great lakes, go with a glass boat. If you want a multi purpose boat, go with aluminum. Starcraft, and Chrestliner make some very nice Aluminum boats, that are multi purpose.

What are some good indicators that a boat would have potential for problems, other than blatently obvious signs like blistering or soft spots?

I have my glass boat choices down to Tiara, Slickcraft(pre AMF), and four winns. Aluminum choices are still pretty open, I like the multipurpose abilities of an aluminum boat, but in all reality, this boat will see 90+% Lake MI.

Just the general condition all around will tell you a lot. Look for rust on the outside of the engine, which can tell you there's been water in the bilge. Any boat that was slipped will require extra attention, so when we were shopping anything with bottom paint on it was shot down.

The three glass boats you listed are all pretty good boats and there's enough of them around that you can be fussy.