evening fishing

Water day we started at @ 5. Didn't get the first fish till 830. Then from 9-1230 we got 10. All on glow plugs and coppers?

150' 200' 250' coppers.

Since it was slow during the afternoon I started switching to glow plugs around 730. And trolled in toward the piers

I usually only fish in the evenings....I was out last weekend and was doing good in 110 to 130 FOW....If I were going out tomorrow, I would set up in 100 FOW and go on a SW troll out to around 170-190 and turn back on a SE troll in..I would then go in to 110 FOW and then back out on a SW. I would do this until an hour before sunset and try to plan on hitting the 130 mark (or new hot spot) right at sunset, and then troll in until about 45 minutes after sunset. If the fish have moved deeper, just move your numbers accordingly. I usually start running glow program 1/2 hour before sunset.

Don't be afraid to stay out until way after dar, but only if you are ready for it.

You will definately want GPS to get you safely back home - if you don't have one it may limit your trip because you may either get stuck or worse if you don't knwo where the shallow spots are in the lake you are coming home to.

You will want lights on the back of the boat to hel you net fish and see your rigger rods after the sun goes down.

As stated in other posts, you can really get into the fish after the sun goes down with glow spoons/plugs/rigs.

It doesn't always work, but it can be a riot some times.

Agreed that evening bite can be tough...mostly at sunset...but occasionally, like last Friday very good all evening. Out of Holland in a new boat for a 2.5 hour trip to try to get a feel for the new rig and went 6/11. Fished 6:00-8:30 with first fish as we were setting the first rigger....fishing continued to be strong throughout until sunset and we had to go to have a crew member home on time for family. Isn't normally like that so early for me, but it seems to be like many have mentioned this year...set down on active pods of fish with bait around and WATCH OUT!

Take a look at this Lowrance. Water inside and outside of this was much slower with fewer marks.

One of my lessons learned is to spend a little time slowing down and using the Lowrance to spot bait/fish before totally committing to a depth. Will be doing more of that.

p><p>[img]<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/3/4/5/8/img_20130823_200602_585.jpg' alt='img_20130823_200602_585.jpg'>