Lowrance Transducers

I currently run a 50/200 transducer and love using the 50hz for tracking my cannon balls. Im looking at upgrading my unit this winter but wondering what the cone angle is like on the new 83/200 transducer? Would I still be able to track the cannon balls with this transducer?

Here is an email I got from lowran when I was inquiring last winter

This is what a tech at lowrance sent me.

Lowrance Transducers

Choosing the Best Transducer

Choosing the best transducer for your Lowrance Fish Finder needs some understanding of the differences and the features of the transducers on offer. There are two types commonly referred to as: 'single' and 'dual' frequency or shallow and deep water. The differences are not only in the frequency but also in the beam width and they are as follows:

• 'Single' frequency HST-WSBL 106-72 transducer will operate on 2 frequencies on the new HDS models: 200 (20°) & 83KHz (60°).

• 'Dual' frequency HST-DFSBL 106-77 transducer will operate on 3 frequencies on the new HDS models: 200KHz (12°), 83KHz (36°) & 50KHz (35°).

Note that the 'dual' frequency transducer has a narrower Beam Angle than the 'single' frequency transducer. So what difference does that make I hear you ask? Quite a lot actually.

The wider beam angle on the 'Single' will give more fish images and less noise in shallow water (under 100m). 83KHz looks good in fresh and Brackish Water, but does not perform as well as 200Khz in salt water.

For fresh water fishing and under 100m, the 'Single' 106-72 is the best choice and for fishing over 100m & the shelf, choose the 'Dual' 106-77. For some applications you may want both and this is becoming more popular. All Lowrance HDS models can use either of these transducers and the frequency (beam angle) can be switched at any time.

The above comments refer to Transom Mount transducers. However Lowrance also have shoot thru the hull 'Single' frequency transducers and 'Dual' frequency Thru Hull transducers which are suited to larger vessels.

Lowrance Transducers are designed for specific hull types and operating depths. Chosing the right Lowrance transducer is not rocket science, it is a simple matter of answering the right questions:

• What type of hull and boat length? Tiinies and trailerable fibreglass runabouts will fit a transom mount transducer. Sailing boats and non trailerable Fibreglass will fit a Thru Hull or In Hull.

• What depth are you fishing? Under 100m will use a an 83/200KHz and over 100m, a 50/200KHz

I had an Airmar B60 with an HDS 7 that worked well. Your sonar is marking an object's distance from the transducer, not its depth, so regardless of how fast you are going you shouldn't see much difference in the depth of your balls because they remain approximately the same distance from the transducer. The wider the cone you have, the more you'll mark but the accuracy of depth goes down. So, especially with a wider cone, you could mark a fish that looks like it's right at your ball but it's really not, it could be significantly different.

I currently run an Airmar SS264, 25 degree 50khz with a 1000 watt DSM. It'll mark the balls at about 2.3-2.5 down speed but they disappear faster than that. It'll mark the rigger cables too, not necessarily a good thing.