Hollland pm wild current ride

Went out in the late afternoon fished until dark. Water was cold at 45'. You would think with the temperature band for kings within 30' of the top I could at least save gas money and catch fish. We noticed right away nothing was marking. So we headed out trolling the DR ad a couple shallow dipsys and a 4 color....nothing. Trolled out to 102' nothing. Headed south a short ways and got a 8.35lb king on a dipsy with mtn due SD with a BW Pickle Kisser fly. But what was amazing the current would move the boat almost up to 4 knots going south with my engine on the lowest speed setting. I think I could have just shut it off and it would have taken me to Michigan City.

My dipsys were completely thrown to the same side of the boat almost. The main point nothing was biting in these conditions, except the one I got just prior. We headed out deeper and had another bite on my SD and Pickle kisser, but this time it hit so hard it took them with it. Good bye $20 at least. Ouch! The waves were 2-3 foot and didn't lay down until about 8pm. Nothing else was hit 250 copper w/green flounder pounder, 1 dipsy with orange crush, 10 color lemon berry, DR w/happy meal and mongolian slider, 200 copper w/blue splatter back plug. I changed everything several times with the same results. I cover the entire water column and speed variations. We headed back in to port and my drive got stuck in the somewhat up position with just the prop below the water surface. Also the sheriff waved to me in the channel that my starboard light was out.

All in all it was nice to be on the lake after 2 days of sitting in port. But the wife said it was great shopping.

LB

Nice report... will you be joining us for the WMFL Saturday?

I live over in Macomb so we will be heading back Saturday. I fish here during the week, since I'm retired and we hope to move over here soon. I would like to meet everyone fishing in the area since I'm starting to know their handles.

LB

You may have done this but I'll tell ya anyway. I've found if you can't get fish to bite and they should be there, and then you finally get one to go, stay on that same troll in the same depth of water. If you were going west and the current was pushing your baits south, your baits weren't running correctly, hence no bites. When you turned south, the bait probably ran with normal action like it should have and you picked one up. I can't tell you how many times troll direction and current can make or break a fishing period. Just my two cents.