If it weren't for bad luck.....

IRon

Wow... I've had manual riggers for years on my smaller boat and after getting a bigger boat decided it was time to start upgrading to some electrics. Ordered one just to get me started. Waited a week and it shows up monday. Yay! Can't wait to hook it up.

Get it all mounted and do it up right and solder the terminal ends and hook up to the battery. Go through the checklist to make double sure all is hooked up correctly (pretty basic stuff). Wiring is OK, Clutch is loosened up, have a 8# ball on flip the switch....... Nothing. Then a few seconds later the circuit breaker pops. Stunned I re-set in an absolutely nothing. The motor doesn't even try to turn, then pop goes the circuit breaker again. So I go back through everything again, all OK. Hook it up to a different battery, re-set and try again. Pop, cb trips again.

Now I'm ticked off. brand new out of the box rigger, my first electric ever and it doesn't work. Still waiting to hear from the mfg. that I sent an e-mail to. I'll try to be patient and let them fix it, but I'm very disappointed.

Calling the place you bought it from is probably going to get you action faster than an email to the manufacturer. If you don't get anywhere with them, I'd then call (not email) the manufacturer.

You might want to tell us the brand & model of rigger you got too -- maybe someone on the board will have some insights on what might be wrong.

Off the top of my head, what size wire are you using to go from the battery to the rigger and how far away is the battery? It needs to be at least the same or bigger gauge as the wire coming off the downrigger. Smaller wire or wire of the same size going over a longer distance will not be able to carry the current (amps) necessary to run the downrigger motor and will pop the breaker as you describe.

Thanks Ryan. It can't be wiring. I used the wire supplied by Big Jon. There's only 2 wires to hook up and they're directly to the battery. Color coded so can't go wrong there. I always heard Big Jon had good service so I tried them first but I'll call Fishingand huntingusa.com tomorrow.

I bought from them because ttheyre a sponsor on here and I bought from Big Jon because they're a Michigan company. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I hope they'll work with me so ill give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm just disappointed that its bad straight out of the box.

Ok now you've got me thinking Ryan. MaYbe its the bAttery terminal connectors I used. Even though I szoldered them they might not be heavy enough. IIll try to find some heavier ones and re do/solder them.

I could be wrong, but isnt there usually a "starting capacitor" on these?? Im an electronics tech and work on actuators daily. From what you described, i wouldnt even bother with the terminals because if its getting juice to pop the breaker then the terminals should be fine. Normally when this happens on our actuators here at work, 9 times outta 10 its the capacitor...But thats our actuators and im not sure if those riggers have starting capacitors or not...i would assume they would... If it pops breaker right away, then i would guess the motor is shorting out internally. If it pops a few seconds after holding the button then i would guess capacitor.....But like i said, thats IF they have a capacitor. Usually all electric motors have capacitors because there isnt enought juice to start the motor.

OK. Update....

Big Jon called yesterday and said to send it to them and they would send me a new one. Pretty good same day response and determination. So I sent it to them today and we'll see.....

And I tried it again with a direct connection and it still kicked the circuit breaker out after a few seconds. Motor didn't even try to turn so something internal.

Wow as I'm typing this UPS shows up with a new rigger!!! OMG.

Only problem being I already sent other rigger out ($50) and ups guy said he would have returned the old one for nothing. Now I'll have to get a reimbursement. Sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they said they'd contact me about giving me a shipping refund and haven't. The whole controversy could have been avoided if the person I talked to second time would have told me they were picking up the defective rigger. Either he just plain dropped the ball or he didn't know himself. The original rep wasn't in the day I called so..... who knows. I guess I'll eat the $50? Tired of the hassle. :mad:

Update #25. Big Jon refunded $20 or what it would have cost them for shipping. I guess the UPS store over charged (screwed) me. Now I either have to file an overcharge complaint with UPS or eat the $30+. All could/should have been avoided if I would have known they had made arrangements for pick up. Not too happy.:(